Search Here!

January 1, 2013

Anne Hathaway Is Growing On Me

This might upset my friend Romelle, but lately, I find that Anne Hathaway is slightly more  bearable than she was a few months ago. Of course by bearable I mean that instead of hating everything that comes out of her mouth, I only hate every other thing that she says.
I am a serious actress.
Annaway...can we call her that? Anyway...Annaway apparently lost a lot of weight, like near death ratios on her already thin frame for Les Mis. Now, no one asked her to do this. In fact, Tom Hooper, the director kept telling her to knock it off. But she kept pushing herself. About this decision to lose weight, Annaway says, “No one liked what I was doing. By the end, people were hugging me, and they would get emotional because I felt so frail.” Sigh...oh dear. See, this is the thing that she said that I don’t like. Describing yourself as frail is kind of a no. And implying that other people were emotional because of your frailty is also a no. Now if other people call you frail and express emotion over it, that’s fine. So Annaway says this kind of thing and I can’t help but roll my eyes. Especially because she's being billed as the star of Les Mis when she's not even in it that long and the reviews of her singing is subpar...and NO ONE EVEN ASKED HER TO ALMOST DIE. Geez. Based on the news surrounding the movie, you'd think the movie was about her weight loss.

But then she goes on to say that she lost the weight and pushed herself to improve her career. Now Annaway has been on screen for a while, but she hasn’t done a lot that could make her be considered a serious actress. So after the frail comment she says this, "I see the sort of work that people like Meryl Streep and Cate Blanchett and Kate Winslet can do, and I want to do that level of work so badly...I don't believe I'm as gifted as them. So the only thing I can control is how hard I work at it — how much do I commit to it? How far will I take it?"
Does this make me look cute?
Okay...you guys...I kind of love her for this. I love that she compliments and recognizes these actresses as better than herself. It shows humility, self-awareness. She’s not as cute as Gwyneth so she can’t afford to be blissfully ignorant. But self-awareness can always earn my respect and understanding.

This is not all that Annaway has done lately. She had an awkward moment recently at the New York premier of where someone got a shot of her during a “wardrobe malfunction” (ie. she "forgot" her panties!) Come on. COME ON ANNE! It's the biggest premier/most serious acting job you've had in years...either wear panties or practice getting out of the car for your friends a thousand times to make sure you've got this. Lord.

However, her response to Matt Lauer, who never misses an opportunity to look like an ass, was fabulous. “It was obviously an unfortunate incident and it kind of made me sad that we live in an age when someone takes a pic of you in a vulnerable moment and sells it rather than deletes it. I'm sorry that we live in a culture that commodifies unwilling participants. It makes me think about the character I play in Les Mis actually. She is someone who is forced to sell sex to benefit her child, so let's get back to Les Mis.”
I am totally pulling this off.
Nicely done Annaway! You adequately shamed the person taking the photo, society, AND Matt Lauer, WHILE promoting your movie, which is why you are there to begin with! The score is evened again.

But then I found out that she cried ridiculously when she cut her hair and saw herself after the cut. Inconsolable cries. Did she think she’d look like Carey Mulligan with a cute little pixie? No way. Annaway has ears and pointy elfish features. What did she expect? But tears? This makes her out to be such a princess, so concerned with appearance...and every woman knows that not EVERY woman can pull off a pixie cut! Who does she think she is? Downward she goes again...

See, it's a love/hate thing. And maybe that's ultimately good. She's a real person. She does stupid shit and says stupid things. She also allows herself some self-awareness and humility when appropriate. She isn't perfect and isn't really trying to come off like she is, but she is striving to be better where she can. I can respect that. I'm not sure where her career will go from here, but I hope for her sake she gets a chance to attempt one of those Streep/Winslet roles, and that she rises to the occasion.

What's your favorite Anne Hathaway movie? 
Love her? Hate her? Verdict pending?

3 comments:

  1. See, I like Anna Hathaway. I think she did a pretty good job in Les Miz. I wouldn't say she was phenomenal. Golden Globe, maybe. Oscar, no way. She was raw and vulnerable which worked. Although I haven't seen her do many interviews, the couple of things I have heard make for some respect from me. When people ask her how she lost the 25 pounds, she refuses to tell them and moves on to the movie. I think that's great that she tries to keep the subject from being about the weight. It was an acting choice and not a diet thing. And the hair thing, I understand where the inconsolable crying is a little annoying, but some people are very attached to their hair. She has beautiful hair, I'd probably cry a little over it too. At least she did it, she went full on and had it chopped. They could just have easily done that with a wig, but she committed. Props. And her hair looked bad after the cut. It's cute now. Overall, I like her and I'm okay with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no problem with Anne. I actually like her. I feel like in life, whatever we do, you have to recognize your weaknesses and work hard. So that was a cool statement for her to make. And the hair thing... She had very long hair and even though she knew it was getting cut, imagine the shock of seeing yourself for the first time really embodying the character you are playing. Looking near death and someone just cut your hair off. I am sure it was not a easy day of work.

    ReplyDelete