Search Here!

February 11, 2013

fun. is Just That.

I don't know how you felt about the Grammy's last night...but I loved them. It was like someone took the most listened to songs on my ipod from the last year and shuffled them. I was torn from category to category because so many of my favorites were nominated. In the end I was thrilled to see Gotye win for what might end up being his one-hit-wonder, but is seriously such a great song. I was of course happy for Mumford and Sons winning for Babel, seriously a great album. And having become a recent fan of fun. I was really happy to see them get some attention. They are like Styx meets Queen. Their tight harmonies and creative music combined with really good lyrics have put them at the top of my list this month. Their music is thoughtful, inspiring, and...well, fun.
Carry on, fun.
What blew me away about the show last night, was the talent on the stage. I love the direction that music is going. With the exceptions of: 1. Taylor Swift who should NEVER BE ASKED TO PERFORM LIVE AGAIN. She's just not good live. And was she trying to channel Lady Gaga? Alice in Wonderland? Ugh. and 2. Fembot Carrie Underwood, who must be related to Romney...can't dance or even move to the beat so they gave her a glowing dress that did all the work for her. I thought everyone else blew it away.
Hold on, Alabama Shakes. Your turn is coming.

Mumford and Sons is just INCREDIBLE. I love that Kelly Clarkson is still around and nailing it. She can sing and she has personality (take notes Underwood). Bruno Mars and Sting were super entertaining. I loved Elton, Ed Sheeran, Alabama Shakes, Maroon 5, Alicia Keys, The Lumineers, Justin Timberlake, and fun. The performances were beyond entertaining, but what I was the most encouraged by is that music, at least according to the Grammy's, seems to be moving to a place where you have to actually be musical again. Vocals matter, instruments are back. It's not hard to see based on last night that this alternative/folk/grassroots sound is pushing out those performers who hide behind lights and dancers. And as a music lover, that is thrilling!

What did you think of the Grammy's? 
What was the best performance? 
Was there anyone you couldn't stand watching?

1 comment:

  1. I rarely watch the Grammy's, but last night I watch part of them. Between reading your blogs and my kids, I at least know a little more about who and what I am watching!

    ReplyDelete