Search Here!

June 7, 2012

Go Back! It's Graduation Time!

Throughout the last month, my Facebook has been flooded with posts and pictures about graduation. There is something exciting and even comforting about the rituals associated with the graduation ceremony. And yet, inevitably, it's also very boring. 

When I graduated from high school I remember paying close attention to every detail. I wanted to be in that moment, aware of the way that every little thing felt. I wanted to know that I would remember it years later. And I do. But then came college and grad school, and something about the combination of the June heat in the South and the borderline condescending speakers left me uninterested. I just wanted to get the robe off. By the time I got my second masters degree, I didn't even attend the ceremony, just waited for the diploma in the mail. My only regret about this is that it would have been a hooding ceremony, and I've never attended one of those...yet. 

I think the reason I paid attention so closely in high school is that most movies that feature a graduation scene of some kind imply that something unforgettable, something shocking, something dramatic will happen. The class clown will streak, the nerds will revolt, the cheerleaders will fall, the jocks will yell profanities. The audience will gasp at some unexpected delinquent behavior, or cry as the heartwarming underdog crosses the stage. That's how it happens in the movies. I wanted that to happen at my graduation. It didn't. Not even close. Did you know that most high schools do not even allow students to throw their graduation caps? Thanks movies for creating unrealistic expectations of what everyone will dramatically describe as "the most important day of your life." That is until you get married, get a job, buy a house, have a kid...

At least we can live vicariously through some of these amazing movie "graduations". Here are 3 of my favorite movies about moving on and getting ready for the "real world." 
Chills.
GREASE
Perhaps one of the greatest and most misleading high school movies of all times. There is no way that these actors are teenagers. Olivia was 30 during the filming. And yet the premise stands. Everyone wants to sing their way through high school. High School Musical and Glee have perpetuated the idea. And even in the thought provoking book, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, music plays a role that can barely be expressed in mere words. (Hope the movie does it justice!) But the hands down kicker in this over-the-top movie is the carnival following graduation. I think the closest thing to a carnival we had at my graduation was the rain that made the road just slippery enough to cause everyone in their dress shoes to slide around. Raamalaamalaama...

The feminist in me always hates that Sandy conforms in the end to be with Danny. But the single 33 year old in me says, where can I get some of those pants?  Which by the way, there is NO WAY those things are in dress code. And when did they have time to co-ordinate that dance in between pregnancy scares, drag races, and hopeless devotion? 

Maybe the most misleading part of the movie (if you forget the flying car) is that in the end everyone is friends. Just look at that picture up there. The rivalries are dead the minute the graduation gowns come off. While they may go dormant for a while, I would venture to guess that in real life, graduation day only marks the start of the real rivalries. Facebook has actually given us the perfect passive aggressive bullying tool. I wonder what Rizzo's status would be. (Hmm...blog idea???) 
Facade.
SAY ANYTHING
Not only is this movie absolutely adorable, with one of the greatest movie scenes ever, one of the greatest guys ever, and one of the greatest (Graduate-esque) endings ever, it also encompasses one of the best possible graduation scenes/nights ever. The great thing is that this movie begins with graduation. 

The graduation ceremony itself is classic. It's a pretty realistic scene, in that students are a little bored, people are blocking the sun from their eyes. The sought after, Diane gives a rather transparent speech entitled, "Soaring Ahead." Her infamous words of advice to her classmates..."Go Back." It gets a laugh from her soon to be criminal father, but goes over the heads of most of the crowd. The idea of the speech is that high school was the best time of their lives and they should be afraid of what the future holds. It sets the tone for the rest of the movie which takes place during the summer following graduation. As far as Diane's advice, you couldn't PAY me to go back. But it's a nice thought that I know some people who peaked in high school probably carry with them daily. Like Uncle Rico for example. "If I could go back to 1982..."

As the graduates are standing around with family and friends, Lloyd, who is a little too scared to actually ask Diane to be in a picture with him manipulates a moment for them to appear in the same photograph. (Seen Above.) It's hilarious, and a scene that shows some of that high school mentality. I can't say I did this, but I do find the most random people in my graduation photos when I look back on them. I suppose it it's just an earlier version of a photo bomb.

The best part of the festivities is the graduation party. It's the kind of graduation party that every high- schooler wants, but hardly any actually get because their parents and family are in town and dictate how the night goes. As Lloyd and Diane walk through the party we get to see the extremes of their personalities. Lloyd is beloved by all, and Diane, while obviously having great potential, has spent her years on the outskirts of her peers. It's at this party that Diane realizes she could and should give Lloyd a real chance at a relationship. It's the perfect ending to a loaded day. 

Lloyd's ambitions are questioned throughout the movie, but he really only has one: to love Diane. While this doesn't exactly win scholarships, it definitely wins the hearts of every woman who has ever watched the movie. Only in today's economy, Lloyd might have to detour from his plan and start selling, buying, or processing to keep Diane around. Cameron Crowe's movie is no where near reality, but it doesn't fill you with the ridiculous expectations that John Hughes' films do either. It's really the perfect graduation movie.
Bittersweet.
CRUEL INTENTIONS
After Dangerous Liason's and before Gossip Girl, there was Cruel Intentions. Aside from this being one of the most provocative teen movies ever made, it nails the loss of innocence theme. Through manipulation, sexual entrapment, and blackmailing, this movie delivers more scandal than the Secret Service. While there is no direct graduation scene in the movie, there is definitely a very fulfilling ending. Puppet-master Kathryn gets what's coming to her when (formerly) good girl Annette, releases to all of her peers, a diary of Kathryn's sins; including the secret locket of cocaine she wears around her neck. I always thought it was such a sign of the times that Kathryn could scheme and sex her way through school, but carry a little coke around her neck and THAT DOES IT! Those were the "just say NO" days, and this movie does not disappoint! 

The sweet (And by sweet, I mean wicked. And by wicked, I mean, awesome.) part of this movie lies completely in the revenge. Every teenager wants their bully to get what's coming to them, and Annette gets to drop her bomb and drive away in a badass car. Of course, one thing we all know is that revenge never truly brings things full circle. With that kind of pain in the past, you change. No matter how good it feels to see someone get theirs, it does not fix anything. Unfortunately, you can never really go back. 

And so for those of you graduating, or preparing to attend a high school reunion (my 15th is this summer) just remember, the best revenge is living well. 


What's Your Favorite Graduation/End of High School Movie?

12 comments:

  1. I was so proud to be "shut" of high school that I cried tears of happiness on the super hot football field. I was happy to be OUT OF THAT PLACE! haha

    And my personal high school grad had my Granny falling out in the stands because of her blood sugar. It's not a family event for us until the medics show up. rofl

    Is it bad to say that I feel asleep before Say Anything finished? I was so bored with it. I'd never seen it until this year. I think I missed my window of opportunity for loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lacey, you are hilarious! But i gotta say, you need to open your mind and give Say Anything another chance. For real. Cause...I'm not sure we can stay friends if you don't like it.... ;)

      Delete
  2. I felt very empty at graduation...like I didn't understand why people who had plans to move on were emotional. Not to sound like I'm on a high horse, but I knew I was going to college and I knew that it was more of a beginning and less of an "end". I'm sure you're pretty aware of how I felt about my high school experience (and if not, feel free to message me), so to say that I was eager to be done is more than a bit of an understatement. I feel like such a biotch typing that out but hey, at least it's honest, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just remember that most of my friends were already graduated and loving college, so I was ready to get out of there! Like you, it wasn't an ending as much as a beginning. As far as how you felt, I gotta say, I don't remember much of anything from that time. My mind has done strange things with that time, and without Amy around I probably wouldn't remember anything at all. Expect a message soon...

      Delete
  3. I was so glad to be done with high school. My senior year was miserable and left me with about 3 friends, none of which were the ones I started high school (or the year) with. I just saw a "mean girl" I went to high school with and it was far more satisfying than the stupid ceremony.

    I thought Garden State started with a a graduation but, then I remembered it's actually a funeral. That probably says a lot about me and graduation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, you are so not alone. I did laugh about the Garden State mess up. I think it's safe to say you wouldn't go back!

      Delete
  4. I loved high school. Siiiigh. I loved college too. I l had/have a love affair with knowledge....and margaritas. I find school was good for both. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now wait a minute....I never said I didn't like learning! I mean, technically I am in 22nd grade so, yeah, I love knowledge. But the stuff that went along with it back in the day...ugh. I can leave that behind gladly. Anna, my guess is that you make anything you do a good time.

      Delete
  5. I've seen 2 out of the 3 and looked for "Say Anything" on Netflix, but to no avail. In the meantime I did get my 90s movie groove on tho- "Muriel's Wedding" and "Mermaids". The latter of which was much better!

    Meanwhile, I definitely wouldn't go back to high school either. Had some good times, but on the whole life just got better after that ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you gotta find say anything! i do love muriel's wedding. i need to rematch mermaids! life DID get better after it ended! I agree!

      Delete
  6. I liked the graduation speeches from Eclipse and Gilmore Girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got into Gilmore Girls. And I cannot remember Eclipse even having a speech! Haha! I will have to look into both!

      Delete