Search Here!

October 26, 2012

New Girl Crush: The Redemption of Anna Kendrick--By Vicky

Recently, Anna Kendrick has been showing up in my life. I recognized her from (ugh) Twilight and had a little bit of bias against her because of it. But the more I have seen her, the more I find myself delighted and charmed by her. I am actually quite impressed.  After a little bit of research, I’m even more of a fan. This girl has gone from nobody to stardom and Twilight helped her get there. (There are spoilers below, ye be warned).

As some of you know, I am not a fan of Twilight, but I slate my curiosity because I did read the books.  I have a really hard time watching any of them, but I get through.  Anna Kendrick plays a mix of two characters from the book; Jessica Stanley and Lauren Mallory, named Jessica. She befriends Bella when she is new to the school and is sort of this annoying presence with a perspective on Edward and the Cullens that I actually related with.
She looks as annoyed as I feel!
Anna’s Jessica gave the graduation speech and speculated that Bella was pregnant at the horribly awkward wedding. She’s kind of snarky and a bearable part of the whole deal.  But still, she was in Twilight. To her credit, she has sky rocketed since then and also, she has defended it with a good point: “I'm tired of hearing people rage on the fans.  If you don't like Twilight, don't buy a ticket.” I can’t help it, Anna, I want to know how they deal with the book!  

After some research, I realized that Anna was in one of my favorite little known musicals, Camp. It’s about a bunch of theatre geeks at a summer camp where they go through rigorous training and big age-inappropriate shows. There is drama, comedy, betrayal, love—and music, of course. Anna plays a lowly actress, Fritzi, who becomes the “assistant” to an ingĂ©nue actress. In a fit of anger, she poisons the actress with Woolite and takes over during a performance. Now, before you watch this scene, two things; one, there is some harsh language (one of my favorite lines), and two, Anna was only 17 years old when she filmed this movie.
Seventeen!

She’s been on Broadway and was even nominated for a Tony Award at the tender age of 13 for her role in High Society. Speaking of awards, she has been nominated for many including a/an Oscar, Golden Globe, People’s Choice, MTV Movie Award, and Critic’s Choice among others. Most of these were for Up in the Air which was a great film where she held her own against George Clooney and Jason Bateman. The role of Natalie was written by Jason Reitman with her in mind as the one and only choice. She was charming, solid, and vulnerable and I am now a full-blown fan. I’ve watched an interview or two and she is so sweet and actually speaks well which is refreshing for an actress her age. What I also like about her is that she’s accessibly pretty.  She can be a little nerdy/dorky as well as gorgeous.
Poised and Pretty at the 2010 Golden Globes.
Although I have noticed Anna Kendrick, I have to say that the roles that really solidified her for me were more recent.  Her portrayal of food truck owner Rosie in What to Expect When You Are Expecting was sweet and heartbreaking.  Her story was one of my favorites among the many and my girl crush was ignited. I saw Pitch Perfect the other day and I now have a full-blown crush. It was a cutesy movie, but I’m a sucker for music and underdogs, so I was hooked. I have to say that although it did follow the typical comedy/romance/underdog outline, it was very witty and fun which put it a step above the rest.  Anna’s character, Beca, was a little broody so it was nice to see her arc through the movie.  And she’s quite the talented singer which is another reason to adore her.

I have other Anna Kendrick movies planned for future viewing. She is in End of Watch as Jake Gyllenhaal’s wife and 50/50 with Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogan. I plan to see both of these and look forward to her performance in both. Side note for you comic book fans, she’s Scott Pilgrim’s sister, Stacey, in Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

So Anna Kendrick has redeemed herself in my Twilight-weary eyes and been added to my list of girl crushes. This is an elite group to include Drew Barrymore and Charlize Theron.  I am eager to see what else she does and glad that she doesn’t seem to be taking a turn toward Lindsay Lohan Land any time soon. From Twilight to Pitch Perfect Anna Kendrick has become a star who can only shine brighter with time.

So what do you think of my girl, Anna Kendrick?  Like her?  Hate her?  Don’t know who she is?  Let me know!



(Vicky, 29, lives in Tallahassee, FL where she is impressed with the fact that there is more than just a Hobby Lobby to buy fabric.  She is a writer, reader, wife, dog mom, theatre lover, and costume maker.  Mostly, she is what she likes to refer to as a sous of everything, master of nothing.)


2 comments:

  1. I love Anna Kendrick! She's adorable, but her acting is also above par for her age. She had me at Up In The Air. I want to see more drama from her, less Rom/Com. OF COURSE. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she is definitely a step above her fellow age-group. As far as I can tell from her IMDb resume, she has a good bit of drama under her belt with more to come. She seems to be following the pattern of a smart actor; one for me, one for them. She can only go up from here.

      Delete