Search Here!

October 18, 2012

When You're The Best Of Friends!

The squeal I let out when I heard that Amy Poehler and Tina Fey will host the Golden Globes together was something similar to the night my high school boyfriend kissed me in my front yard while my friends watched from inside. I ran back inside to celebrate with them and lots of squealing happened. Yes, I used to squeal about boys and kisses.

But this post is not about that. Because no matter how great that kiss was, the part I remember being the most fun was the celebration inside with my friends. We'd heard from someone (this was before anyone was googling to fact check) that being french kissed turned your tongue white. We all ran into the tiny bathroom in my house, and I stuck out my tongue to see if it was true. Funny thing, it wasn't even my first real kiss. But this one held a different level of excitement because my friends were there for it. Oh, and I'm pretty sure my tongue was pink.

I'm very aware that my brand of friendship might be quite different than yours. Maybe it comes from being single for so long, but I think it's fair to say, I've always had a deep love for friends. My mother has amazing friends who were "other mothers" to me, and I think she stressed the importance of friendship as much as she did independence and putting on deodorant. I remember hearing "boys will come and go, but friends will stay forever." I mean, in retrospect, that's a little idealistic. I've had lots of friends come and go too. But on the whole...my friends have really been there. And I have THEEEEE most amazing friends.

Friendship doesn't just hold up as legit for us real people, it also seems to be able to survive the fame and fortune of Hollywood. I think this is because if you are rich and important, recognized around every corner, and you actually find someone who you can trust and who will love you for who you are without make-up, you probably hang onto them.

So, in celebration of what is bound to be the BEST Golden Globes EVER, and in celebration of friendship...here are some notable Famous BFF's.
Bitches get stuff done.
Tina and Amy-The Funniest
The way Tina talks about Amy in her book Bossypants gives a real idea of the kind of support these two show each other. They have risen to stardom at the same time, and been active participants in their individual successes. Recently at a charity auction they put a night of being their BFF up on the auction block and two women wrote checks for $36,000 each. I want to go to there.
Sense and sensibility.
Kate and Reese-The Ones I Want To Know
When Kate Winslet moved in next to Reese Witherspoon, she came over to say hi one night. As they talked about possible playdates for their kids, Kate told Reese she hadn't had anything to drink and asked if she had wine. Of course Reese did, and their friendship was born over wine and conversation that night. You all know Kate is my favorite actress, and Reese is from the South...I love this pairing so much!

Oprah and Gayle-The Real Deal
You can't even mention BFF's in Hollywood without thinking of these two. When I think about the success Oprah has had, in all reality, Gayle is probably the only person in her life that she can truly trust. Watching them on their road trip was hilarious because they fight like sisters! And their camping trip at Yosemite. Best ever.
There is no me without you.
Busy and Michelle-The Soulmates
Seriously, this might seem like a strange combo, but these two have been friends for a long time. Through all the tragedy of Heath Ledger's death and the celebration of having babies. They are seen together all the time, and apparently some people question the proclaimed platonic nature of their friendship. They make no bones about calling each other soul mates and admit having "girl crushes" on each other. But those who know them or spend time around them just say that they are seriously the best of friends, in ways that you can only understand if you've had this kind of best friend.

Dakota and Kristen-The Opposites
Um. What? They're best friends? In my mind, Dakota is still sweetly knitting things on talk shows, while KStew is busy...well, stewing. This friendship alone is proof that opposites attract not only in romance, but in friendship.

Everyone just calm down.
Penelope and Salma-The Sexiest
This is too much sexy in a friendship. I mean, somebody has to be the Rhoda.

The Threesomes
There are some internet discrepancies over these next few people. It's bound to happen. There's always that poor woman who thinks that she is her BFF's, BFF, but has no idea that her BFF has another BFF. I think that's what's happening in some of these situations. Which of these pairings do you think is the real deal?

Drew Barrymore and Cameron Diaz or Drew Barrymore and Ellen Page
Their birthdays are 1 day and...er...a few years apart. Seriously, even with a 12 year age difference, I have to vote for Ellen and Drew on this one. Mainly because I cannot imagine anyone ever being best friends with Cameron Diaz. Except maybe Scarlett Johannsen.
Shenanigans.
Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox Arquette or Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler
As much as we all want Rachel and Monica to be friends forever, there are rumors that they've suffered some rough spots in the last year or so. Meanwhile, Chelsea loves to mention Jennifer on her show and reference their nights out. I am sure that Courtney has the staying power in this, but I do think that Jenn needs a friend who will go to the mat for her. Chelsea doesn't take shit off of anyone, and for that reason, I like the thought of the two of them as best friends.
Even at my worst, I'm best with you.
Kate Hudson and Liv Tyler or Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin
FALSE. There is no right answer to this, because in spite of both Liv and Ginnifer seemingly being wonderful people, they are obviously HORRIBLE friends because they let Kate do this:
I have no real friends.

Talk to me about BFF's...
Who did I leave out that's worth mentioning? 
Who will never have one? 
Which celeb do you want to be BFF with?

7 comments:

  1. This is my most favorite blog so far! You should do one for broships. Ryan Gosling and his dog totally count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do that next. I thought about mixing up girls and boys, but this felt right at the moment. I love this blog...because you know how I love friends!

      Delete
  2. I'm with Sandra, loving this blog. Being someone who has moved to a new place recently and is looking for friends, I find myself hoping I'm like any of these people one day. And even though you are never nasty about anything/one, it's nice to see such a positive and healthy post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND I would L-U-V to be best friends with Drew Barrymore, Ellen Page-style.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much! When I saw Drew, I thought of you Vicky!

      Delete
  3. Clearly, I want to be BFF's with Jen Aniston. Duh. But, I think we should talk about the weird ones. Like, anyone that Madonna claims to be BFF with is automatically suspect. And, I think about Katy Perry and Rhianna supposedly being BFF's. But then why doesn't Katy keep Rhianna away from Chris Brown? So strange. And, in what world is Tom Cruise friends with Will Smith? That just doesn't make sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested to hear your take on Aniston/Handler or Aniston/Cox. And you are totally right about the weird BFF's...I totally want to do a blog on those, the boy/girl friendships, and the Bromances too!

      Delete