Search Here!

May 26, 2012

Can't Repeat the Past? Why Of Course You Can!

It was late Wednesday night in China when I saw that the trailer for The Great Gatsby had been released. I pulled it up on my computer, full screen, and played it. Then I played it again. I played it 6 times in that sitting. Since then, I've played it about a dozen more. Here it is for your viewing pleasure!


Forget polarizing celebrities...this might be the most polarizing movie of the year. Or at least the most polarizing trailer. It's the biggest buzz this week, and people are either thrilled to see it, or angry and critical. Here's my take:


1. The Great Gatsby is the most perfect book ever written. Every word is thought out, impeccably placed. It is not too long, not too short. The language is elevated while still accessible. The images of the bored rich play beautifully against the themes of unrequited love and unexposed vulnerability. It is full of flawed characters that reveal in us our own shortcomings preventing us from judging them too harshly, and yet it toys with the reader's struggle between resentment of money and longing for it, the role it plays in happiness, even while emphasizing that money cannot buy everything. It is timeless in that these themes and characters only repeat themselves and are reborn into every generation, every age of society. It is bold, mysterious, lovely, and tragic.
Those eyes taught me about symbolism.
2. Having said that, it cannot ever be replicated perfectly in movie form. So for the 10% of America who has actually read the book, stop the strict comparisons. Think of it as a cousin of the book. If you go into it with the minimalist expectations that your high school brain wrapped itself around when you first read it, you will feel confused when you watch it. This must be embraced as a tribute to The Great Gatsby, not a replica.
This might be as close to "Gatsby" as Leo gets.
3. I'm not gonna lie...I have my doubts about the cast. First of all, I would have liked to see Topher Grace as Nick Carraway instead of Tobey Maguire. Tobey is goofy, Topher is...well, more graceful which I would find more appropriate for someone like Carraway. Instead of Joel Edgerton as Tom Buchanan, I'd like to see Tom Hardy. Hardy seems scary, and I've always read Buchanan as slightly irrational. Carey Mulligan as Daisy doesn't sit right with me. She's too mousy, not the exquisite beauty that you hope for, and her eyes show layers of depth. January Jones' role as Betty Draper has already showed that she can master the shallow sadness of Daisy. And as for Leonardo as Gatsby. Sigh. I love Leo. But I think Ryan Gosling is more chiseled and could have nailed this one. Leo is too round in the face. But honestly, anyone is gonna have a hard time competing with Robert Redford's Gatsby. At least we know Leo has the acting chops to try. If Leo and Carey can pull off the subdued intensity and anxious emotional connection between Daisy and Gatsby, then the rest of the movie will be fine no matter who portrays who.
Great Indeed.
4. The Baz Luhrmann issue is a non-issue. I mean, of course he's an issue because everything he does is SO HIM that you can't ignore his style or hand in any of his films. His fast paced Romeo and Juliet, and over the top Moulin Rouge won me over, but even if you don't like his colorful, in your face, aesthetic, you can still love it for Gatsby. Because Luhrmann's excessive style is perfectly at home in a movie based on the roaring twenties where everything was happening in the context of booming excess. In writing sometimes we ask the question, should the form serve the content or the content serve the form? The correct answer for me is the first, and that's what you have in Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby. It will be beautiful on screen, with vast contrasting colors that Luhrmann is known for, whereas I remember the Redford version of the movie was too....clean, too...white. 
Watching for the longest day of the year.
5. The criticism is running high, people are ready for this to fail. Even down to the music in the trailer, which will probably never show up in the movie itself, people are upset. Everyone slow down for a second. Remember the point of a trailer. It's a marketing tool. It's meant to convince the majority of the people in mainstream America, most of whom are NOT Gatsby fans, to go see the movie. So love it for what it is, something to entice. And also, LOVE that Jack White cover of U2's Love is Blindness.


As for me, overall, I am thrilled about the movie. The biggest bummer...we have to wait until CHRISTMAS!


What are your thoughts on the upcoming The Great Gatsby? 


8 comments:

  1. I'd like to see it. I am a fan of Baz Luhrmann films and think his style will be a nice fit for bringing this era to life onscreen. I think Carey Mulligan is a solid actress and not unnatractive but agree that she doesn't really have that super "glamorous" look that is Daisy. I'm hoping Luhrmann can pull it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about Mulligan, and I'm sure she can pull it off. On looks alone, she just doesn't fit Daisy. Of course, neither does Leo really. All that said, I am sure that the surrounding glamour will be enough to convince us!

      Delete
  2. Most of the actors in that pic above look like the characters from the Bugsy Malone movie with Scott Baio and Jody Foster when they were children. It looks like very young people playing dress up. The clothes look like costumes, not clothes. Something about it is all too slick. And what about the 3D element? I'm just not too sure about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with the fact that they seem very young, but I think part of that is our minds playing tricks on us. Redford is Gatsby in my mind and now he's...well, wrinkled. But these actors ARE the adult actors now, even though they are teens in our minds. So it seems off in some ways. As far as the slick look, I think that's totally on purpose, style. So I can get behind that.

      Delete
  3. I love 'The Great Gatsby'. I love BL films. I love Leo. I love Jack White. I freakin' LOOOVE 'No Church in the Wild' (also featured in the 'Safe House' trailer, btw). And yet... I don't love the trailer. Something is "off". I think it's the voice-over at the beginning. Luhrmann has a heavy-hand but that delivery was too cheesy for me (sorry Leo); and there is all together too much Moulin Rouge deja vu going on. But as you pointed out, that's probably somewhat intentional from a marketing perspective.

    Nonetheless, I'll definitely be checking this one out. I think it could be good, despite the off-kilter trailer. I agree with you on this one, Amber; I think BL is a solid fit for the content. I'm not concerned with his ability to adapt the text. He's handled everything from Shakespeare to Italian Opera to Beatles / Madonna songs. Why not F. Scott Fitzgerald? Debauchery. Frenetic action. Smoldering sexiness. L'Amour.

    I think the success of this movie is ultimately going to be dependent on the chemistry between cast members.

    On a personal sidenote: "sport" is one of my absolute favorite terms of endearment. So, this is promising on that front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed about the voice over, but chalking it up to marketing. I am thinking you and Meg need to wait on me to see this one. It come out at CMAS, I come back 2 weeks later. It's gonna be really good. And also, I agree about the chemistry. That can't be masked by style. I love that you enjoy "sport" as a term of endearment. Tell me that story some time!

      Delete
  4. I love me some Baz. He's my homeboy. R&J and ML are all time faves. I even like Strictly Ballroom. I'm a fan.

    Now for the shocking: I have NO idea what happens in this book. I know. I'm an English major. I read the book in about a day in high school and took the test the next day. I didn't even remember the eyes to be honest with you. I still look at the cover and wonder what those eyes have to do with anything. haha. I am going to have to spend some time re-reading that before Christmas.

    I also have a hard time taking Leo as anything any more. I think I've just seen his face too much to believe him to be whatever they want me to see on screen. I see Jack. I see Romeo. I don't see Gatsby. I didn't see whatever his name was in Shutter Island. I was just sad Jack had gotten all crazy. I think he's one of those actors who imprinted on me too young. I can't suspend past roles to believe his current one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lacey, put down the knitting and read that book again.

      And OMG I love and agree with the idea of Leo imprinting on me too young! Hilarious way to put that but so true!

      Delete