Search Here!

May 31, 2012

I Hate Myself For Loving You, Glee


Still one of the greatest logos ever.

For weeks now I’ve been purposefully putting off blogging about Glee. But tonight I finally watched the season finale, and I can’t put this blog off any longer. In my other blog, I have spent too many posts venting about and promoting Glee over the years. Part of the problem with blogging about Glee is that my thoughts are as scattered as the show. Sometimes I love it. Other times it’s on par with Smash: I’m just hate-watching it to keep up.

I guess my biggest beef with Glee over the years is the way it approaches the agenda/issues it deals with. Domestic violence and body image cannot be solved in a single day. And so in some ways, Glee is a throwback to TV in the early 90’s and before where Danny Tanner sat down with DJ after her latest shenanigan and soft music played and they hugged and all was right in the world again. Only, I don’t wanna go back there! 
My two favorite characters. I like divas.
Glee has spent time creating great characters, it wouldn’t kill it to carry a heavy storyline through more than one episode. But then again, the show has spent three seasons with heavy handed preaching about homosexuality. I guess I just want some balance. Treat all of the issues equally. Spread them out and spend some time on them or deliver them all with anecdotal solutions. At least this way there wouldn’t be such a variation between heartfelt authenticity and taking really serious problems way too lightly. The show would come off as more believable, more applicable, and the characters would not be such caricatures of themselves. 

Having said all of that...
DAMN YOU GLEE with your pretty faces and good music. You suck me in EVERY TIME with at least one of my favorite songs, even though it’s usually over-processed and emotionally charged. 
The season finale was no different. I cried five times. I thought it was a great ending. And I kind of thought I would want to pick it apart when I finally wrote this blog, but I don’t. Maybe later this summer when I’m not so heartbroken over the end I will dissect it for sport. But for now, I just want to let it sink in. The hug between Sue and Quinn, Santana’s mom believing in her, the confessional conversation between Finn and Mr. Shoe, and the long awaited image of Rachel walking through New York. 
Pure Glee.
Sigh. I miss them and their issues already.

2 comments:

  1. I love-hated the finale. Um...Kurt is going to stick around in Lima next year? Heh. He KILLED his audition. Loved Rachel in NYC, but it felt rushed after the goodbye with Finn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did have a hard time believing the Kurt thing, but they want him on the show for the storyline between him and Blaine. It all felt rushed, because I wanted more Quinn, more Santana, more Puck, all of them!

    ReplyDelete