Search Here!

May 12, 2012

Rollin' with the Holograms

I have watched the video of Tupac's hologram at Coachella about 8 times. That's a lot for a white girl who lives in China and knows about 3 Tupac songs. California Love is one of them. I told you I was white.



The technology and production value of the Tupac hologram is enough to impress anyone. But there's a sentimental value to seeing "Tupac" perform on that stage which can't be explained by lights and music. It summons a kind of hope that surrounds all cultural icons, that maybe he's not really dead..maybe that's really him up there. 

Even though Tupac was not my personal idol, I still get chills watching that video. I wish I'd been there to see it in person. But it got me thinking, who do I want to see come back as a hologram?

The most obvious choice for me is Whitney Houston. My mom took me to see Whitney in concert when I was in the 5th grade. I listened to her tape, yes, tape, until it broke, then I fixed it with the eraser of a pencil and listened some more. Bringing Whitney back in all her glory would require channeling the Whitney from the late 80's. Before "hell to the no," co-dependent with Bobby, Whitney existed. These things are all about timing. And instead of floating her hologram from talk shows to reality show, Whitney's hologram would have one job. To sing the National Anthem at all sports events. I have no idea why, but none of the current performers seem to be able to get it right. Whitney nailed it and set the standard. Even her hologram would put any living singer to shame.

Yes We Can! Tear Down That Wall!
I would also like to hologram a decent Republican candidate. I have no definitive opinion on which one, because I think any of the past presidents would be better than the Republican candidates of the day. Instead of watching Obama go up against Robot Romney, it would be much more fun to watch him debate someone with some conviction, some passion, even if they are missing an actual body.

We've touched on music and political figures, but there's one more person that I would love to see as a hologram. Brittany Murphy. Sure, she was never a superstar, but as a die hard Clueless fan, I believe Murphy could have become one of the best actresses of our time. And she was at least a double threat. Acting and singing. I am still amazed at her simple little line in Clueless, "Rollin' with the homies..." It's the most beautifully sung 4 words of any movie ever made. (Check it out in the video above at the 43 second mark) Her roles in Girl Interrupted, Little Black Book, and 8 Mile showed her ability to be a diverse actor. But if I could bring Brittany's hologram back, I wouldn't pimp her back out to Hollywood. I would just want her around to be my best friend. Cause I think that's the kind of girl she was. Content to just, roll with the homies.

2 comments:

  1. I have always thought that was the most brief but impressive vocal performance too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing! Catches me off guard every time!

      Delete