Search Here!

September 7, 2012

Scary Songs

There are very few moments in my life that are not accompanied by music. Music is my jam. My iTunes collection has about 7000 very diverse songs in it. Of course I have my favorite 1000 of those, (who can choose a favorite!), but there are many I never listen to at all. And then there are the skippers. You know what I'm talking about. The ones that you include on the playlists because you like them in theory, you like the artist, the title is familiar to you...but once it starts playing...you skip it. There are many categories these songs can fall into, but the one that will get a skip from me every time is the scary song.

I'm not talking about Monster Mash. I'm talking about the ones that haunt you. I'm talking Chris Isaak. I'm talking about the the song that starts playing in my apartment while I'm in the shower, and actually causes me get out of the shower to go change it because if I continue to listen, I will be thrown into a world of fear that someone is lurking around my home. This applies to the car too. It even applies to walking. The minute these songs start to play, my brain signals that something is not right and my fight or flight instincts kick in; I flee. I look around to make sure that the minor chords didn't manifest into any actual creepiness and try to keep going...but things are not quite the same for a few songs after that. Here are 10 songs that resonate that way for me. I have included videos, but try to just listen to the music apart from the visuals to get the full effect.



Mad World-Gary Jules 

Maybe it's the Donnie Darko association, but this song is hands down the most haunting song I have ever heard. There's something about the simplicity of the song. The piano carries the music that moves up and down the scale, and when Gary's slightly raspy voice hits the very center of the notes with no wavering, he hangs on them just a second too long. This song is not about flair. When the violin comes in and the lyrics begin to talk about children, the song nails the formula for a truly haunting song.

Thriller-Michael Jackson
When MJ is actually singing, Thriller is not that scary. In fact, it's a fun pop song! When the drums kick off the repetitive bass line it's the perfect foundation for the lyrics that tell us a story of what it's like to be afraid of something. But just when you're comfortable with what's happening, Vincent Price decides to open his big mouth and it's all downhill from there. Sound effects of graves and zombie marching, plus an old pipe organ, create an ambiance that takes me back to being 5 years old again, hiding my eyes behind my fingers praying that MJ doesn't come glare at me with his yellow eyes later tonight.

Roman's Revenge-Nicki Minaj
Nicki Minaj is not right. And I mean that in the most Southern sense of the words. This song is not for the faint of heart. It's haunting for a very different reason than most of the songs on this list, and the only song on this list that I don't make a habit of skipping. I don't skip it because it's great to exercise to. Anyway, the song features Eminem and one of Nicki's alter-ego's, Roman. The two of them rap some pretty risque lyrics that will hurt the ears of any woman with sexual sensitivities. And also there might be some barking in the song.

Hazard-Richard Marx
I love Richard Marx. A friend of mine growing up used to brag that he was her 13th cousin. I was jealous. Something about the hair...and also that song that everyone used to play on the piano...I will be right here waiting for you. Such a beautiful love song. But THIS one is not that. Hazard tells the story of a young woman, Mary, who goes missing in a small Midwestern town. The music itself is simple and minor, but the lyrics leave room for questioning whether or not Marx committed the murder, which leaves the listener with an uneasy feeling.

Sweet Dreams-Marilyn Manson 
The original version of this song is not totally off the hook for being creepy. But anything in the hands of Marilyn Manson is bound to plunge into the deepest darkest places. The guitar plays the familiar rhythm of the song as we know it, but Manson's voice comes almost monotone. When the drums and band kick in, it's heavy and oppressive. Then, all of that drops out and Manson practically squeaks out the lyrics through his teeth, adding in a few lines with a childlike voice before he takes it up an octave, screaming "SWEET DREAMS ARE MADE OF THESE..." It's really a nightmare. And I double dog dare you to watch the video.

Total Eclipse Of The Heart-Bonnie Tyler
Even though this epic song has become a joke...especially with the literal version of the video coming out a few years ago, but it still holds a scary place in my heart. The song itself has that "Meatloaf" feel to it, and the repetitiveness of "turn around" gives it a little added eeriness. This one might make the list due simply to associations. It plays a subtle but important role in one of my favorite concept scary movies, Urban Legend. But I think the real trauma of this song comes from a drama I was made to perform over and over when I worked at a Christian camp. It's no secret that weirdly emotional and overly dramatic things go down Christian camps. And this song turned into some kind of struggle between Jesus and Satan...and well...now I've freaked you out too.  

Hotel California-The Eagles
When my mother wanted to learn to play Guitar Hero, this is the song she started with. It took her hours to get past the first few measures. That was 3 years ago. To this day, I cannot hear the intro of the song without feeling haunted by it. But even aside from my mother, this song is creepy! The super repetitive music is haunting, but add to it the lyrics and this is one hotel you want nothing to do with...and it goes on and on and on....

The Late Great Planet Earth-Plumb
If you are not familiar with Plumb, you should be. Their (her) music is under the Christian category, but in the same way of Switchfoot...in that it's really pretty good. I suggest that you start with the album, candycoatedwaterdrops. This particular song is on that album, and it always leaves me with a weird feeling. It starts with a static countdown and then the full band kicks in with this guitar riff that is played through the whole song. Punctuated here and there are some symphonic overtones that make it a little more epic and haunting. Oh, and if you couldn't tell from the title, the song is apocalyptic which of course gives it an added measure of doom. Everybody, save yourself.

The Nights That The Lights Went Out In Georgia-Reba McIntyre 
Having grown up in the South, but lived many places, I can tell you that nothing is as frightening as something with the label, Southern Gothic. This song is just that. It tells the story of a murder and has all of the elements that we love about the South: hangings, backwoods lawyers and judges, blood, anger, guns, and porches. If you've every actually driven through South Georgia, you know the last thing you want is the lights going out. The way Reba sings the song is almost whispery, and like a lot of the songs mentioned here, the repetitiveness is what gives it the thrill. Plus the ending is chill inducing.

Uninvited-Alanis Morissette
On Jagged Little Pill, Alanis has a "hidden track" that I would actually like to add to this list, but it's a little obscure. Just listen to the entire album, and you will see what I mean. She's basically an intruder in someone's house. The stalker quality, not to mention a total absence of music, is terrifying. Oh, and it comes out of nowhere. You think the cd is over, you're sitting in silence, and suddenly Alanis is right there again, singing about her weird obsession with someone. You know what...I was gonna mention Uninvited, but I think I will just leave it with the hidden track instead.  I think it's called, "Your House."


What songs give you the heebie-jeebies? 
Which songs haunt you?


6 comments:

  1. Mad World is definitely freaky! (And as if you needed another example...it was the song in "The Crazies" trailer)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK OK! Melissa, I am going to watch The Crazies RIGHT NOW! (Even though it's 3am and I live in a zombie building in China....) Also, make sure you read my other blog...the serious one. I think you will be proud...

      Delete
    2. HAHA!!! I figured it was a sign :)

      Delete
    3. Ok...I watched it. Not what I expected or remembered...I do think I'd seen it before...but maybe at someone's home with distractions. It's like I wanted MORE from it. But I love a good zombie/virus story. Definitely had some intense and creepy moments. I've never liked the blonde actress in it, so it was hard for me to root for her. The nuclear bomb part was for sure the best.

      Delete
  2. Meatloaf, I would do anything for love. Somehow that song was played the night a tornado hit our town in Alabama, and I get the chills whenever I hear it. We had a babysitter that night, so she must have played it in her car or something. Otherwise I'm sure some random Larnelle Harris song would creep me out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything Meatloaf has that feeling to it...but yeah, a memory like that would definitely do it for you! I also wish I'd added...The Thunder Rolls to this one...by Garth. And to piggy back on Larnelle...Carmen. :)

      Delete