Search Here!

September 28, 2012

Taking the “Guilt” out of Guilty Pleasures--A Guest Post


Inspired by the “It’s ALL McDonald’s” and “Why It’s NOT ALL McDonald’s.”  

Here’s my thing:  It IS ALL McDonald’s, but what’s so wrong with McDonald’s? Just like everything bad for you, MickeyD’s is something that you have to do in moderation. In his stand-up segment, Jim Gaffigan points out that McDonald’s is something that we eat with shame, but can’t give up because it’s just too good and so bad. People act all uppity about it, but the numbers don’t lie. But what’s so wrong with enjoying some delicious, fresh MickeyD’s fries?

Amber has confessed her guilty pleasures to us before. Why do we feel the need to hide our guilty pleasures away and only admit them to people when we’ve had a little too much libation or are confessing a deep, dark secret? Why not embrace other people’s guilty pleasures and remember that we all have some of our own. A lot of us feel the need to pretend we don’t like something when we secretly indulge in it when we are alone. Don’t feel ashamed of something you love, embrace it and enjoy it. Just know that sometimes you may have to defend it—or not, you could just tell people that you could care less what they think of your slight obsession and carry on. Personally, I find that when I’m upfront about things that I like, people will either keep being my friend or not.  If you decide that our differing opinion on something trivial is worth not being friends with an awesome person like me, well, you probably weren’t going to be a good friend anyway.  It’s as simple as that.  

So in honor of Amber’s amazing blog of Pop Culture that brings me a laugh almost daily and her bravery and honesty in said blog, I am confessing some Not So Guilty Pleasures of my own:

Weekend Fat – I mean come on, it’s a little Pop Culture, a little personal opinion (that I often agree with), a little hey, what do you think?  And I love it. I don’t think it’s bad to debate Miley’s hair cut or declare Team Angelina or Team Jennifer. What’s wrong with a little peek into the lives of people who’ve chosen the path of fame? They knew the consequences of putting themselves out there and hey, sometimes they do some crazy stuff.  

Twilight – OK, this is a little different than you think.  There’s backstory here: I worked for Books-A-Million and found myself constantly being asked “Is Twilight appropriate for my (insert number) age daughter/niece/etc.?”  I could only tell these mothers/aunts/etc. what I heard about the books. I was being asked so often, I decided that I wanted to form my own opinion. So I read them. All of them. Meh. I also saw the first movie with my very tolerant husband and I was horrifically fascinated. He declared that he would never watch another one and I was mildly curious. I saw the second one in theaters with some fellow BAM employees and declared I would never pay money to see another one in a theatre. But I wanted to see how they dealt with the rest of the books, so I have seen up to the latest installment (Thank you, RedBox). Don’t love it, in fact I pretty much detest them, but I can’t help but slate my curiosity.  
But then, there's this. Yes, I own one.
Leonardo DiCaprio – This is pretty self-explanatory. I used to be in L-U-V with Leo.  Romeo + Juliet solidified it for me. Titanic, phenomenal. Now that he’s all grown up and actually looks his age, I still admire him and appreciate his amazing acting skills. I enjoy watching him and remembering how I used to cut out pictures of him from Seventeen and collage them together to hang up in my closet. We were going to get married one day, you know. P.S. I did NOT see Titanic in 3D. All that water rushing at me in 3D?  My bladder barely made it at 14, it definitely wouldn’t make it now.  

Drew Barrymore – She has been brought up before on his blog. Lots of people don’t like her, but I’m declaring my love for Drew!  Everything she does—good, bad—love her. I like the way she talks out of the side of her mouth and the way she’s pulled herself out of a life of drugs to become a star. She’s adorable, funny, quirky, and dang it, I like her. Did you know she’s married and pregnant?
Aren't they adorable?
Katherine Heigl / Ashton Kutcher – These two are guaranteed to have my attention. I can’t help it. Their movies are mainstream or bad or good, it really doesn’t matter, and I love them. It’s this weird charisma thing that sucks me in and I can’t help but like their movies (that I’ve seen). Except this one Ashton did with Anne Heche, Spread—I don’t know, it was a little ew for me. Someone once told me that they thought Katherine Heigl seemed like a stuck-up so-and-so and lots of people dislike Ashton Kutcher…. Well, I’m not concerned with their personal lives; I’m talking about their movies. Not many other actors can get to me the way these two do. And if you put Heigl and Kutcher in a movie together—I’m done. Done.
Seriously. Done.
Call Me, Maybe? – Probably not after this blog…. So this song has popped up everywhere.  There are endless amounts of videos. My top three picks: U.S. Olympic Swim Team, Marines, and Cookie Monster in no particular order. I’ve heard it a million times and I still love it. Also, I thought it was stupid when I first heard it. Like call me “Maybe,” ok, “Maybe” you’re weird. Now, it’s grown on me. I know all the words, I’ve watched lots of videos, and my husband is a very, very patient man.  

America’s Next Top Model – OK, this one may not seem like a big deal, but here’s the thing; I don’t watch much reality TV. No American Idol, no Amazing Race, no Big Brother, I didn’t even watch Real World or whatever (is that still on?). I watch Project Runway, Face Off, that kind of stuff. The most mainstream I get is The Voice because a) it doesn’t feel like it’s gotten out of hand like other shows b) I LOVE Blake Shelton c) they seem more genuine and they aren’t straight up mean to people. So with my “clean” lineup of reality, why do I watch the “smutty” ANTM?  Because of the pictures. I can take or leave the drama between the girls or whatever rant Tyra decides to go on. I just want to look at the photo shoot and the pictures that come out of them. Some of the stuff they do is so creative, so I guess the artist in me is intrigued. By that time, I have to know who they’re kicking off. Also, I’ve got eyes and Eyes down. ANTM fans, you know what I’m talking about.


So what are your Not So Guilty Pleasures?  
Declare them loud and proud!  It’s ALL McDonald’s, but who doesn’t enjoy a quick stop under the golden arches?


(Vicky is a big fan of Weekend Fat and decided that she had something to say.  Maybe McDonald’s just gets her fired up.  She can relate to “l’esprit de l’escalier”).

6 comments:

  1. Well Vicky, you are my kind of person. Everyone has their own set of guilty pleasures and sometimes you just like what you like. Some of my guilty pleasures include Bill and Ted, Untamed Heart, and Bonnie Tyler's Total of the Heart. I don't "waste" my time on reality TV. I have enough reality in real life. If I am going to waste time on TV it's going to be fiction. When I told Amber I enjoyed the Twilight books, I thought she might unfriend me. I thought I was suppose to like them so I did. If she had told me I wasn't supposed to like them maybe I wouldn't have liked them much. And I do actually like McDonalds. It is still my favorite fast food place. But don't tell anyone, okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your secret is safe with me! Thanks for sharing your not-so-guilty pleasures.

      Delete
  2. First of all, I never said Twilight was all that bad! I mean...I did read them and I did read them fast! So i can't hate on them too much! I have my guilty pleasures too...hello!!! Like THIS ENTIRE BLOG! The big difference is that my guilty pleasures and yours are probably very different. But I bet we can both agree on several things that have substance to them. One man's trash is another man's treasure...and truthfully, I love the challenge of turning my guilty pleasures into something with meaning and challenging others to do the same. Or is that called justification? Meh...anyway.

    Vicky, I only have one thing I disagree wholeheartedly with you on...HOW DARE YOU REFER TO DREW BARRYMORE as a guilty pleasure! She's legit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Amber, I completely agree. I added her in because I know A LOT of people who would disagree with us on that one. I find more and more people who don't find her funny, pretty, talented, etc etc etc. They are wrong, of course. I added her in because I love her so much and I'm just so happy that she finally seems to have found happiness in her love life (since it has been tumultuous at best).

      Delete
    2. I love that she just had a baby!

      Delete
  3. I'm right there smizeing with you girl! I totally miss Nigel and Mr. Jay. I get the hot guy they added and the weird fashion blogger, but I totes hate they changed it up on the newest cycle. And hello, Victoria? That chick is NUTZ! She makes all of us from GA look as craycray as she is.

    Also, read Twilight at the speed of light. And I own the box set of books. I saw the first movie in the cheap movie theater, and we heckled it. Not a Kstew fan or a Pattinson groupie. (I may have even spelled his name wrong...hahaha)

    As much as I liked the dynamic between them in Killers, I hated that movie. She was such a bitch to him after she realized she was knocked up. Her character went on a weird arc that wasn't really believable to me. Cute movie though.

    ReplyDelete