Search Here!

August 30, 2012

Pouring Salt in the Wound: All About Angelina

A few weeks ago I wrote a blog that I knew would be unpopular. It detailed my slightly negative perception of Jennifer Aniston and what I perceive to be her failures. You can read it here. My friend Julie wrote a nice rebuttal in defense of Aniston, and I enjoyed reading it because what she said was very true. Her rebuttal is here. 

But even with the opposing comments and rebuttal, I am still on Team Angelina. I hate to beat a dead horse, but I feel the need to explain my position. Feel free to disagree with me. I don't claim all of the following as fact, but just as my personal perception of her. I think this blog will explain why I like her, and maybe, it will soften your heart toward her too...
"Playing the villain baby, just like you want."
Angelina hit the scene about the time I graduated from high school. Her first substantial movie was Gia, which is an interesting choice for an up and coming actress. It set the stage for her to be taken seriously as an actress. I didn't see Gia until much later, but her follow up role was in Girl, Interrupted and I was hooked. Of course I loved the movie itself, but Jolie nailed the part of crazy. And she did it so well that I felt the envy, hatred, and intense love for her that Brittany Murphy and Winona Ryder also felt in the movie. Jolie stole the screen against some more recognized names. I cling to this part, as do many Angelina fans, because to play that kind of crazy, you have to be a little crazy. I will get back to the crazy in a minute...

So not too long after she started with the Laura Croft and detective/agent action packed movies, adding in a kids movie or drama here and there. So I admit, her resume isn't incredibly noteworthy. But in a time when it's a lot easier to be the cookie cutter rom/com actress, Jolie found her place. And that niche is accompanied by women like Halle Barry and Uma Thurman, whereas Aniston blends in with Katherine Heigl and...[insert generic straight haired female actress here.]
What mistakes did you make at 25?
Back to the crazy...the thing about Angelina's crazy is that it's not the typical brand of Hollywood crazy. While most celebrities can only get a little attention from overdoses and wild parties, Angelina took it up a few notches. Blood vials and incestuous kisses, not to mention that just being the daughter of the terrifying Jon Voight gives her an edge. Seriously, watch Anaconda, that man is scary. So rather than looking at her (during my college years) and thinking sarcastically...really...more drinking, that's impressive. I was genuinely intrigued by her. At one point she stopped acting to become a funeral director. This time of her life was marked by depression, cutting, and family turmoil. She has never hidden this or denied it, but rather admitted it and embraced it as what made her who she is today.
Best picture ever of Angelina.
The Brad Pitt stuff...yeah, it gets tricky. But as I said in my last blog about this...no one can be stolen unless they want to be stolen. And by the time Mr. And Mrs. Smith was being filmed, Angelina had already been named the world's most beautiful woman a few times. Supposedly he and Jenn were having some issues concerning kids. I mean...it was a perfect storm, and if anyone is to "blame" it's Brad. So that happened. And truthfully, at times, I feel like Brad is holding her back. But this is not a blog about him.
When I see this I get "It's a small world" stuck in my head.
Angelina's fame as the Tomb Raider launched her international success, which introduced her face to the world. This might seem a little ridiculous, but having lived in China this year, I can tell you that the few stars considered international really do have the attention of other countries. They pay attention to our celebrities, because if we're honest, that's really all America produces these days. Entertainment.

So when Jolie started to make the move from self-serving, crazy, actress to self-aware, stable, humanitarian, the world took notice. Her political and charitable involvement is smart, she knows how to lobby for her chosen causes in various countries rather than attempting to take on the entire system. She stays dedicated to those causes, most of which aid children and community development in underdeveloped environments. While some people criticize her for her adoptions and having 6 kids, I see this as her putting her money where her (yes, very large) mouth is, and her acting work has slightly slowed with each child allowing her more time to be a mother.
I think I saw this in a slideshow from a mission trip at church once.
Here's the rub for me when people talk about how they don't like Angelina. I have attended quite a bit of church in my life. And when someone comes in with this kind of "testimony" we Christians LOVE it. Objectively, it goes something like this: "In her younger days she was cutting, drinking, in the depth of depression, from a crazy family and now look at her! She's successful, a humanitarian. Using her money for good! And oh...those orphans have a home now!" Even secular culture loves seeing someone change for the better. It's why we still root for Lindsay Lohan! And honestly, there is no better story than that of Angelina's when it comes to being rehabilitated. But most people I know resent her for it. They hate her even. She is definitely polarizing. I make no claims that Jolie has found God...but I do believe she's cleaned up. She is focused. She tamed her crazy and channeled that blood vial passion into life-changing issues. She made her way in this world and now she makes a difference.

And also...she's sexy.
And maybe slightly ridiculous. ;)

4 comments:

  1. I freaks me out how that pic of the whole clan looks like mine and yours kids. Her bio kids are all dressed like her in similar colors. Her adopted kids all look edgy and a little weird like Brad. Def. a Yours, Mine, and Ours moment. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are hilarious Lacey. I always love your comments!

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes. You are right. A redemption story is great. I have a tendency to look at celebrities on a strictly superficial way. Not that they can't be good people and do good things. I'm just the type to take them on the surface. It's safer for me to think that they aren't actually real people. This isn't real life we're talking about here. It's celebrity life. *Of course I know that they are actually real and Angelina has done very real world work for the UN and others.* I just like to keep them confined to the world of "celebrity" and let that be that.

    Stop challenging me Amber! This is messing up my pretty little celebrity picture!!! ;) Well done rebuttal to the rebuttal.

    I'm still Team Jen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, you know I don't want to be ALL McDonald's! I gotta bring the "truth" from time to time! I tend to root for underdogs in the media. People who get picked on. I like to find their good stuff. Of course, some of them don't have much to work with. I can get pretty superficial about a lot of celebrities. If they play a a character I like, I pretty much pretend they are that character.

      And it's okay if you are still Team Jen! I would expect nothing less! Just narrowing the gap...

      Delete