Search Here!

August 14, 2012

To Be or Not To Be...An Actor--A Guest Post


Recently I was sucked into a popular book and movie franchise. Whenever I get interested in a movie, person, author, or whatever, I read all I can about them.  I use Wikipedia (I know, I know, not a reliable source), IMDB, YouTube, reviews, soundtracks; whatever I can to know everything about everyone involved. In my “research” I learned that the actress playing the main character in this franchise is considered a bad actor. 

Okay fine, it is Twilight and Kristen Stewart (insert hanging of the head here).  These bad reviews baffled me a little bit.  I didn’t find anything in her portrayal bad (the only thing I can say on her performance is that I read Bella in my head happier than she played her). She gave Bella a few qualities, like eye blinking and being clumsy, and I thought her waking up screaming in New Moon was quite good. Did you see the scene when the change started, her internal struggling? 

After that I watched another one of her movies on Netflix, Welcome to the Riley’s.  She plays an under-aged, foul mouthed, stripper/hooker and I didn’t find anything wrong with that performance either. It was very different from Bella, so I thought, she has range.  But review after review said “she is a bad actor”.

                Clearly I don’t know what makes someone good at acting. 


I would think that the main consideration is being able to make others believe you are someone else.  I truly believe that Jim Parsons is Sheldon Cooper.  There is no one else who could make that character what Jim makes him.  He uses his voice, inflection, facial features, and body to make me believe he is a crazy dork. Wait, he’s not crazy, his mother had him tested.  I believe that Jim Parsons is not like that in real life, so he is acting. 

There are some actors I don’t believe have to act to play their characters. Rachel Green and Jennifer Aniston are the same person, so I don’t think any actual acting was happening there.   She is usually cast as an ingĂ©nue and I believe that is what she basically is. Now you will remind me of her character Justine in The Good Girl.  Yes, it was a vast departure from her previous work, but because it was so different I didn’t buy it.  On the flip side of the Friends coin is Lisa Kudrow, such a smart person playing a ditz. All Acting.

There are actors who have been around a while and have honed their chops who are supposed to be good actors that I don’t enjoy watching.  Meryl Streep is one of them as is Claire Danes.  But I immensely enjoy Enrico Colantoni from Just Shoot Me to Veronica Mars to Flash Point.


It is easy for us to name our favorite actors and call them good.  But really, what is it that makes a good actor?  What performances did you buy?  Or not?



Author’s Note:  The author understands that some people may not like Kristen Stewart because they don’t like Bella’s weak character.  But we can’t all be Katniss Everdeens. 

(CJ Mitchell is not a writer, but a reader and tv watcher. She recently tried to teach a youth group 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon and they said “Who is Kevin Bacon?”.   If she could empty her head of all the useless knowledge there might be room for something important like brain surgery or rocket science.)

4 comments:

  1. Well, I am gonna talk about this in a post next week, but I think Michelle Williams is one of the greatest actors of our time. She can do anything. I agree with you wholeheartedly about Aniston (and will discuss it more tomorrow on the blog.) Of course, I will just say it, I have very little respect for Rom/Com actors. Exceptions: Sandra Bullock and Julia Roberts. Because they branched out in a smart way. As far as Kristin Stewart goes...I think she NAILED Bella, because Bella is such an awful character. Is that a backhanded comment or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's another attempt at posting a comment...
    I read the Twilight series and enjoyed it. I painfully sat through Twilight the movie. I loved Bella in the book but I just couldn't buy Stewart's portrayal. The lack of facial animation killed me. I guess she grew on me because I enjoyed the other movies I've seen in the series.
    Jim Parsons does a phenomenal job as Sheldon. I wish I was more familiar with him outside of the TV show, just so I could appreciate his acting even more.
    The bio of CJ Mitchell made me laugh. I bet those same youth don't even know why the Old Navy commercial with Jason Priestly and Gabrielle Carteris is SO STINKING FUNNY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANG...I am SO interested to hear why you liked Bella as a character in the books. I gotta see these Old Navy commercials! Being in China, I miss some good things.

      Delete
  3. Well, more things leave my mind than take up residence there so I'm not sure why I liked Bella. I read the series four years ago so I've forgotten a great deal. I felt for her. Rooted for her. I just recall a fondness for her...and great disappointment in the way the character was portrayed in the first movie.

    ReplyDelete