Search Here!

August 28, 2012

Why It's NOT ALL McDonald's

Yesterday I posted a blog featuring Jim Gaffigan and his hilarious ode? tribute? rant? to/about McDonald's. If you didn't see it, go watch it.

In the video he makes claims that we all take part in some kind of "McDonald's" which basically means, we all do something, that isn't great for us, but just feeds this almost primal, definitely lazy part of ourselves. He included pop-culture in that statement. He specifically refers to watching Glee and says, "It's ALL McDonald's."
What do you get if you add Billions and Billions?
Fat.
As much as I laughed at the video, I kinda felt my feathers ruffle. I mean, here I am, with my own pop-culture centered blog, and he's saying it could be a waste of time...it's not good for you...it does nothing productive. And here's the thing...I know he's right. It really COULD ALL be McDonald's.

But I don't want it to be.

I want to write about fun things that happen in pop-culture, but I also want to connect them to things in real life that matter. I had a writing professor that once defined literature as "making meaning." This definition works for me because I think...anyone can tell a story, repeat the facts, or even make someone laugh. But can you make people relate? Can you compare the most mundane things to the most meaningful things? Can you find the common threads that run through all stories, all people, in all places, just because we are all human? That's really my goal with Weekend Fat.

I know a lot of the time I fall short of that. And I think that's ok. Like Gaffigan says, we all get and even "need" McDonald's days. But I do hope that more times than not, whatever gets written here at least makes people think, or engages people on a different level than the one that tells your brain to eat those cold limp fries.

4 comments:

  1. The scary Disney post totally connected to me. Eeek. Creep Disney is creepy.

    And I also love the storms you set off with your posts. Boo Angelina. or Boo Aniston (only 1 n). Boo Jane Austen. or Yay, Jane Austen!

    It's what happens in the middle of the BOO-Yay spectrum that makes meaning for me.

    I could totally murder some fries right now. And maybe a DQPC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your description of the Boo-Yay spectrum!

      Delete
  2. Your blog is a large, hot fry for sure! We may not need it like we need a salad but man, you just gotta have some fries from time to time.

    ReplyDelete