Search Here!

November 20, 2012

5 Killer Cover Songs--By Meredith

I’ve been threatening Amber with a guest blog since Weekend Fat launched. Today, I’m finally making good on at least one of many promises. I’m diving in with a good old-fashioned list (lists perform exceptionally well as blog titles and topics) and an evergreen topic: The cover song.

There are tons of cover songs out there – lots of opinions - so I feel it’s necessary to lay down my ground rules for today’s post:
  1. No covers originating from American Idol, X Factor, Glee, Nashville, etc.
  2. Similarly, no teens with a guitar or piano, playing covers for their YouTube fans & followers (as talented as they may be – go Annelise).
  3. All covers included in the list must be true “covers.” No “samples” or “mash-ups.”
  4. No Beatles covers. No jazz, bluegrass or folk rock standards. There are just too many to process. 
  5. Also, no Fleetwood Mac covers. There are some good ones out there, but Fleetwood Mac is hallowed ground.
  6. No holiday-themed covers.
  7. All originals must be good songs to start; so it follows, all cover songs must be genuinely notable. We’re talking either a complete reinterpretation or a completely different style of music. 
  8. Johnny Cash’s cover of NIN’s “Hurt” is too easy. Excellent - but easy. I’m angling for more obscure on one or both tracks within the grouping.

Obviously, these are my completely arbitrary rules – mostly in place for the sake of brevity. Without further ado: five awesome originals and their equally awesome covers.

Immigrant Song
Original: Led Zeppelin 


I’m starting with my favorite because, well, it’s just badass. I was in middle school when NIN was at its apex. The boys sported grungy NIN and Stone Temple Pilots t-shirts. The girls were all about bubblegum and The Backstreet Boys. I was woefully misguided by my sex. NIN is the shit. And Karen O can do no wrong in my eyes. Maps and Gold Lion are on my multi-generational, cross-genre “classics” playlist. 

Running Up That Hill
Original: Kate Bush 

Cover: Placebo 

Kate Bush is a quirky, English powerhouse that frequently ousted 80s-era Madonna when she was at the top of the charts. She’s worth revisiting. Kate is a definite reference point for many artists enjoyed now. Bjork and Florence & The Machine borrow heavily from Kate’s pop-opera delivery. I’ll get you started: Cloudbusting, Breathing and Hounds of Love.

Placebo, on the other hand, is Placebo. Admittedly, I’m not terribly well versed in their work but big props on the cover.

Kate Bush Cover Song, Honorable mention: This Woman’s Work (Maxwell) I don’t know who has the cheesier video, but Kate and Maxwell are melodrama at its best.

It’s My Life
Original: Talk Talk 

Cover: No Doubt 

No Doubt follows Talk Talk’s arrangement; and yet, these are two strikingly different songs. 80s-era British pop-rock or Gwen Stefani? It’s a draw.

Can We Still Be Friends
Original: Todd Rundgren 

Cover: Mandy Moore 

Rundgren is a prolific singer-songwriter and record producer, with a significant hand in the 70’s and 80’s pop scene. Rundgren is the real deal. And I maintain, Mandy Moore is an under-valued entertainer. I wish she did more. She has a solid voice, she stuck to her guns during the over-sexed Britney Spears / Christina Aguilera era and she also happens to be a decent comedic actress too (Saved!). Anyway, this is my hidden gem.

I Will Always Love You
Original: Dolly Parton 

Cover: Whitney Houston 

Cover: Jennifer Hudson 

Get ready to turn on the tears. 

Everyone knows Whitney Houston’s amazing version of Dolly Parton’s original. In fact, even Dolly admits that David Foster’s arrangement for ‘The Bodyguard’ floored her and she’s thankful the song turned into the iconic hit that it is. In both versions, “I Will Always Love You” is all about sweeping, romantic love and saying goodbye.

And then, Whitney Houston died tragically, a day before the 54th Annual Grammy Awards. As a former live television producer, I can’t imagine what those 24 hours between the news hitting and the curtains coming up were like; but the Grammy team did an excellent job. A night of tasteful tributes and awards was capped with Jennifer Hudson’s memorial performance - and she’s the reason I get to break Rule #8 concerning obscurity.

You can’t find J-Hud’s live cover of “I Will Always Love You” on any album, but it’s a heart-wrenching and wholly original take on the epic song. Jennifer mutes the crescendos, goes with a bit more staccato and translates a song about bittersweet romance into palatable, general grief.  She can sing at my funeral.


Share your favorite cover...but make sure you follow the rules!

4 comments:

  1. As I stated in one of my posts, I do enjoy "Annie Are You OK?" and although it is Michael Jackson and pretty mainstream, I didn't know who Alien Ant Farm was or that it was Michael Jackson at the time. Do I get a pass? :) Also, I like Garth Brooks' cover of Patsy Cline's "I Go Out Walking After Midnight." (Judge me if you will, it's fine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alien Ant Farm was on the list! I'll have to check out Garth's cover. My GB playlist is pretty much limited to "Friends in Low Places".

      ALSO, QUICK EDIT (my bad, it was messed up in the draft I sent Amber): Should read, "Karen O, with Trent Reznor and Atticus Rose"

      Delete
  2. Mere, I have to know...who do you think does the best cover of "Creep?" Or do you prefer the original? There are SOOOO many floating out there. What's your preference?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good question!! Standby. This is a fun Thanksgiving scavenger hunt :)

    ReplyDelete