Search Here!

November 27, 2012

Animated Childhood Memories--By Vicky


I recently found myself singing a song from an animated movie I used to watch probably on loop.  I thought to myself, this might make a good post.  Amber, I’m obsessed.  I’m sure other bloggers have this happen regularly and are grateful for inspiration.  This is the first time I realized I was doing it or doing it consciously.  I had to write it down so I didn’t forget.  Cool!

So anyway… I was singing this song which made me think about a conversation I had with some colleagues from work who are actually around my age (I’ve spent the better part of 3-4 years with many people who are much younger than myself.  Upwards of ten years, in fact).  It was nice to reminisce about childhood movies that have shaped our lives.  And of course, the movies now aren’t nearly as good as our movies were.  Of course.  (I know, it’s not necessarily true, but nostalgia wins every time).

I started thinking about the movies that I used to watch as a child and even into my teens that I really adored.  And I still know the words to the songs.  And I’m talking about non-Disney movies.  Sure, I loved some Disney, but I’m talking about some of the other movies that were a little darker, a little more emotional, and became part of me.  Some of the videos are just the song with lyrics or pictures; I couldn’t find them all, so I apologize for that.  There are some spoilers, but these movies have been around for a while, so I don’t feel too bad.  So at the risk of dating myself, here are some of my favorite childhood cartoons:

Rock-A-Doodle (1991)
Rock-A-Doodle was a great movie about a singing rooster.  Basically.  There’s a lot of other stuff involved, including a little boy being turned into a cartoon cat, evil owls, and lots and lots of rain.  Rock-A-Doodle was about finding yourself while trying to save others, friendship, loyalty, and how to tie your shoes.  “Over, around, under, and through, that’s how Patou ties the shoe.”  (I knew how to tie my shoes by then, but I could appreciate the rhyme).
Favorite Moment/Song: Sun Do Shine

This is the song Chanticleer sings to bring the sun up.  Such a great start to the day!

Anastasia (1997)
This movie is based on the missing Russian czar’s daughter.  Anya is an orphan looking for a home and Dimitri and Vladimir are all too happy to help...to con the crap out of her actual grandmother.  Of course, along the way Anya finds herself, her purpose, and love.  With John Cusack and Meg Ryan as lead vocals, I’m sold now as much as I was then.  Just let me list the first 8 voices that appear in this movie: Meg Ryan (Anya), John Cusack (Dimitri), Kelsey Grammar (Vladimir), Christopher Lloyd (Rasputin), Hank Azaria (Bartok), Bernadette Peters (Sophie), Kirsten Dunst (Young Anastasia), Angela Lansbury (Dowager Empress Marie) and oh yeah, Lacey Chabert was Young Anastasia’s singing voice.  Holy crap, you can’t spit in Hollywood and hit that much talent.  With its beautiful animation, lively songs, and darker side, you can’t help but be charmed by this optimistic take on the traditional Anastasia lore.
Favorite Moment/Song: You Can Learn to Do It

The great part about this song is Vlad and DImitri’s realization that she might not be some random girl.  And the kiss on her hand from Dimitri.  Adorable.

Ferngully: The Last Rainforest (1992)
This is the point where I start getting a little choked up.  I used to love this movie, no I still love this movie.  I quote it even now.  It has Robin Williams and Tim Curry in it, so it’s automatically amazing.  This was a movie about saving the rainforests and the effects of pollution before “Green” was cool.  The magic of the rainforest, Batty’s one-liners, Crysta’s growth with her magic, and Zach’s realization and appreciation are all wonderful.  And Tim Curry.  Tim Curry always makes a terrific bad guy.  The below video is actually a link to the entire movie.
Favorite Moment/Song: Batty’s Rap (Go to 10 minutes for entertainment, 11 if you just want to hear the song)

This is Batty’s introduction after he crashes into the fairy’s realm.  Robin Williams rapping always equals a good time.

The Secret of NIMH (1982)
My mom loved this movie and passed on her adoration to me.  It’s based on a book which is a little less supernatural and a little more scientific, but still a great story.  I used to love watching Mrs. Brisby braving all of her fears to help her sick son.  Talking to the Great Owl, going to the Rats for help, breaking out of the cage when she was caught by the farmer’s son, and of course, finding the power within herself to use the “sparkly” to lift her house to the lee of the stone and save her children.  Jeremy the crow is great comic relief with so much at stake and I still don’t like cats because Dragon was such a scary, mean thing.
Favorite Moment/Song: Mrs. Brisby lifts the house to save her children

The music behind this moment is so compelling.  And the moment where all the rats are awed over Mrs. Brisby as she faints with exhaustion.

All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989)
Classic.  This movie makes me cry every time.  Charlie’s tricks and manipulations that add up to one bad dog are redeemed with the sacrifice of his life for an orphan girl, assuring his place in heaven.  Anne-Marie, the little girl orphan and Itchy, the sidekick really round out Charlie’s journey.  Charlie, the collie/German shepherd mix was written with Burt Reynolds in mind and he loaned his voice to the charming con-dog.
Favorite Moment/Song: You Can’t Keep a Good Dog Down

It’s just a great song that epitomizes Charlie’s character.

An American Tail (1986)
The story of Fievel and the Mousekewitz family is sad and joyful.  This epitomizes what must have happened to some families in their travels to America to seek a better life.  The ideal of “No cats in America,” the name changes at Ellis Island, the downtrodden rising up to fight against the cats and rats, it’s an amazing story that rings true to our history.  Tiger the cat is probably one of the few cats in cinematic history that I actually like.  Besides Oliver.  But that’s another post I suppose.
Favorite Moment/Song: Somewhere Out There

You thought I would go for There Are No Cats in America or Never Say Never, but this song has always been in my heart and I think of it when I miss my friends or family (especially my brother).  Also, I love the imperfection of the mice children’s voices.

There are some other movies, but these are really near and dear to me.  I hum many of these songs even to this day, and often quote the movies.  A friend and I had a Facebook Ferngully quote off once.  It was epic.

So what non-Disney movies from your childhood do you adore?  Can you name a favorite song?  Maybe hum a few bars?

7 comments:

  1. My oldest watched Rock-a-doodle on a loop. We still have our VHS copy, just in case her oldest wants to watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have our VHS still, too. These are all movies my children will watch because they are so great. I'm glad I'm not the only one who knows Rock-A-Doodle. Sometimes it seems like no one knows it!

      Delete
  2. Sorry the Ferngully video was taken down. Here's a link to the Batty Rap, if you're interested. Just don't read the lyrics, they are wrong and were done by a 10 year old or something.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naeh9Bqu9_A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rock-A-Doodle was a favorite of mine. I still catch myself singing songs from it. I know it's on Netflix (because I might have watched it recently). Another non-Disney cartoon favorite is Cats Don't Dance. Anyone else remember that one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this today. See #5. http://thoughtcatalog.com/2011/10-things-90s-kids-will-have-to-explain-to-their-children/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is great. And the rap is terrifying. I didn't include the full part because it's so creepy. That's why I originally had the movie, because it's less scary with the video. But, yes, it is scary. And Ferngully definitely came first. This whole post was hilarious. And so true.

      Delete
  5. BANJO THE WOODPILE CAT!!!!! Favorite childhood animated movie. Ever. Cute kittens and a peppy half hour narrative. Part 1 of 3: http://youtu.be/QozwP4VmKcs

    ReplyDelete