Search Here!

November 1, 2012

RE: Friendship Three-ways: Handler/Aniston/Cox-By Julie

As Weekend Fat's resident Aniston promoter (I'm seriously happy with this self-appointed title), I am back to discuss Jennifer's gal-pal choices based on a previous post about friendship.

My own thoughts on friendship in my life goes like this: I am not one to have a million friends. I'm not a social butterfly. I find it hard to have surface relationships, friends of convenience, even just acquaintances. I hate insincerity. I hate snobbery. I hate any type of fake. Thus, I keep friends for a long time. If we become friends, we are going to be friends for the long haul. So, I can relate to the threesome Jennifer Aniston has going on. Let's dissect.
I'll be there for you!
Jennifer and Courteney Cox: This relationship makes everyone happy. They were on a show called Friends. I mean, you can't get better than that. This is your best friend from high school. You spent some very formidable years together. They have seen your awkward phase and love you anyway. You basically grew up together. You shared experiences that make you who you are today. These types of friends are super important. They may not be the friend you see the most these days. You are probably in different stages of life now. But, these friends are the ones that you can pick up right where you left off. No explaining needed. They just get it.

Then you hear that these two friends might not be as close as you thought (did Jenn and Courteney have a fight???). Maybe there was a tiff here or there. Well, that happens. Remember, these people know you. They have known you for a long time. If you start dating someone that isn't really great, they might tell you. And you might not like it. Then, you realize they were right to begin with and all is good again. That's how it works. BFF. To the end.
Chelsea's face says it all.
Jennifer and Chelsea Handler: This type of relationship is your later-in-life type. You both have experienced a lot of things (Jenn's divorce, Chelsea's.... ummm, whatever she has experienced) and you have lost that need to impress people. You are who you are. That doesn't mean that you make friends super fast. It means that when you find that type that cuts through the BS and is actually being real about life, you latch on to them. You laugh a lot. You probably hang out a lot. They are probably in a similar life stage. These types can be complete opposites and that is the beauty of it. They like you for you. And, I'll bet that in Jennifer and Chelsea's case, that is a true rarity in Hollywood.

To be sure, it takes a while to find the Chelsea's. I'm no celebrity, but even I am super guarded around new people. I can be nice and friendly. But, true friends? That takes time. I'm not fake at all. Just not likely to be emotionally slutty around new folks.

I can't say that I can really pick sides on this one. No Team Courteney or Team Chelsea here. Both friendships have their place. And, if Jennifer is anything like me (I like to think that we are alike), then I'm guessing that both of these friendships will be around for a while. I say, Mazel to them!


(Julie Bunkley is a wedding planner in Auburn, Ala. If you ever see her at a Starbucks with her computer, she probably isn't working. She's just looking up celebrity life photos, red carpet gown photos and celebrity wedding news. You can learn more about her here!)

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyable discussion. Also, "emotionally slutty"... most excellent phrasing. I'm going to keep that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely an amazing phrase. Also, I'd like to go ahead and confess to being emotionally slutty.

      Delete
    2. I would love to claim "emotionally slutty" as something I came up with, but I can't. I'm not sure where I heard it first. But, it's a good one.

      Delete