Search Here!

November 14, 2012

Downton Abbey: An Education


I’ve written before about my distaste for British Period Pieces, British Drama, and pretty much anything in line with that genre outside of the ever-sacred Sense and Sensibility. But when the majority of my closest friends are watching a show, it stands to reason I should check it out. Especially when my friend and fellow blogger, Romelle, wrote this letter to me concerning my disinterest. Being in China it’s easy to find pretty much any kind of movie or TV show you are interested in online. So, the other day I decided to watch just to see if it would put me to sleep or if I would get hooked. This was my second attempt at watching by the way, the first failed miserably. I just wasn't "in the mood."

But this time around, I loved it.

In fact, I am almost done with the 3rd season which hasn’t even premiered in America yet! (Thanks China!) 
So here’s a crash course in what made me fall for Downton Abbey.
Mary, Mary, quite contrary.
1. Literature
Maybe it’s my background in literature combined with my love for relationships, but if a show is going to hook me in, it’s usually going to be on the character level first. Plot is important, but if I think the people are interesting, I will usually watch something in spite of a boring or even stagnant plot line. (Which is why I am still watching Grey’s Anatomy) Downton offers some great characters with some real depth and even mystery. It’s easy to assume you’ve seen how a lady of the house would act or how a maid might respond to a certain situation, and yet, each and every time Downton has pleasantly surprised me by giving characters unpredictable yet feasible actions. My favorite character hands down is Mary. (I bet you thought I’d say Anna or Sybil.) I like them both a lot, but Mary surprises me the most on the show. I love the balance (or contradiction) of confidence, arrogance, vulnerability, self-protection, dignity, and even humility she somehow manages. I love her sense of right and wrong and how it grows and changes. I also love Cora. I LOVE to watch her talk, I love her voice. True confession, I try to imitate it sometimes. I like her complexity. Bates, while seemingly wonderful is a tad TOO mysterious and TOO good to give into crushing on him. And don't even get me started on Thomas. I could go on and on about who I like and who I don’t but the bottom line is that I am caught up in these people.
And Lord help the sister, that comes between me and my man!
2. Design
My history in design is limited. I worked at an Antiques and Gift shop in New Orleans for a little over 2 years, and during that time the owners taught me everything they could about interior design. My mother has a natural eye for arranging wall hangings and flowers and furniture, so I like to think some of it has passed on to me too. But when it comes to the Fashion part of design, I am close to clueless. I know what I think looks good, but I don’t know why. And yet when it comes to Downton Abbey, I cannot get enough of the colors and fabrics and the look of things. From the rooms to the gowns to the hats and hair, I am hypnotized by the beauty of this show. It’s not that it’s flashy, in fact sometimes it’s muted and subtle. The characters each have distinctive style, and I mentioned Mary is my favorite, so are her clothes. I want to wear more deep reds and gray’s!
A true lady indeed.
3. Chemistry
The way the characters relate to each other is fascinating. There are loyal pairs that you would never suspect. Cora with O’Brien, Carson and Mary, Bates and Robert, and more. But the chemistry between the people IN the house and the people OF the house is wonderful. No one ever forgets their place, even if they do choose to ignore it from time to time. The blending of these two classes that live under one roof with all of their various situations is something I love to watch unfold. 
She's having a baby...or is she?
4. History
The show takes place during the early 1900’s and the writers are good to bring in historical events and work them into the show. Now, I know Downton has been criticized for not being totally accurate or situated rightly with language and lingo, but I can get past all that simply because it’s clever. I actually enjoy the segment of time the show explores because it is right before technology really begins to take over. Watching them adapt to a telephone was brilliant. This is also when women are beginning to speak up for themselves, which I enjoy watching of course. But chivalry is still alive and well, so that’s nice too. I think the most interesting thing to watch in relation to historical implications is the way that the family in the house tends to criticize the “the help” for being....well, “the help.” When in truth, should there be no help, life for the family would change tremendously. And yet, jobs are available and making one’s way in the world is becoming more easy every day. I love watching the family accept, judge, and rely on the maids and footmen. 
Bros before bows.
5. Psychology
The problems of the Crawley family are largely the same as other families. Robert has 3 daughters he doesn’t know how to control, who run all over him. His staff gossips and gets sick and moves to other jobs. Cora has two beautiful daughters who are often sought after and yet must ask herself if the other will be happy in love someday. Money doesn’t solve all problems, and the show proves that. There is also the push and pull of relationships. The betrayal of sisters, the undermining of staff, the unrequited (or at least postponed) love. And lastly, I adore the questions of integrity/honor that come up during the show. There are obviously rules in a house like this, and yet everyone in the house will break them for various reasons, some noble, some not. I like to watch the fluctuating  ethics that often depend on the strength of relationships. 

Oh, and it also makes me cry almost every episode. 

So I think I just laid out a pretty good course schedule, or at least a few decent arguments as to why I am impressed and pleasantly surprised by Downton Abbey. For those of you NOT across a pond, but firmly planted in America, I can tell you that the Season 3 does not disappoint, though it does raise the stakes emotionally. Maybe I should add a few courses to prepare you... ;)

Are you watching Downton Abbey? 
Who is your favorite character? 
What do you love the most about it? 
If you don’t love it, please share! I’d love to argue with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment