Search Here!

June 18, 2012

The Hitchcock Of The Walk: A Tribute To My Father

When you finish watching a guilty pleasure show like Gossip Girl, it's only right that you watch something with substantially brilliant writing and content to regain your sense of what is good and what is...well, a guilty pleasure. This last week I really needed something with substance and class. So many movies today are what I call "multi-tasking movies." You know the ones. You can watch the first five minutes of them to learn the characters voices and then clean your apartment or write an essay or talk on the phone and still understand the entire premise without missing a thing. That's how a lot of movies are these days, and I really resent it. Ahem, excuse me, my movie snob is showing.


Lucky for me, my dad is a movie buff. He's just a movie buff from a few generations back. It takes me, my brother, and my mother convincing him these days to go see a movie, except on Christmas Day, and then it's our tradition, so he knows he has to go. But at home, he's always watching some black and white flick or some cowboy movie. From time to time he'll call me into the room and ask me to look at someone on screen. Then he'll say with a big grin on his face, "You know who's mother that is?" or "You know who that guy is on TV today?" I usually stare for a minute, and sometimes the answer is obvious, but more than not, I come up blank. Then he traces the connection for me, and I am always amazed that his 60+ brain still has room for these kinds of things. I hope I inherit this trait.
A Flock of Fear.
In most ways, I am just like my mother. But I pretty much owe my love for scary movies to my dad. At a pretty early age, he introduced me to what we refer to as "disaster" movies. Tower Inferno, Earthquake, and pretty much any movie where an animal multiplies and infiltrates/attacks an area. Frogs, Ants, Jaws...and of course...The Birds

The Birds is my second favorite Alfred Hitchcock film. Rear Window is my favorite. Psycho is surprisingly far down the list, but of course still a classic. At some point during the rainy Sunday afternoons of my childhood, when my younger brother and my mom were napping, I fell in love with old "scary" movies. My dad sat in a recliner next to me, making sure to pull me back into the movie with his storytelling voice, "Uh oh, what's gonna happen!?" if my attention wavered. I would look up from my popcorn just in time to see that Tippi Hedren was just inches in front of playground equipment that was covered in birds. Terrifying, and exhilarating. It wasn't just Hitchcock movies though, it was his TV show that drew me in also. I loved his introductions and conclusions, his little props and antics that were so uniquely his, and no one has been able to pull off since. 


These times with my dad taught me to appreciate the way movies, whether long or short, are made. I began to recognize the elements of writing and props and scenery, subtle movements, camera angles, facial expressions, and the tension of silence. I learned that usually dialogue is of secondary importance in a really good movie, and that too much talking is almost always a bad thing. 
Director of Doom.
Of course, my dad taught me that last lesson in real life too; his eyes busy watching every scene in our house, but only choosing to speak when it would further the plot rather than simply create more drama. Letting his stillness usher us into whatever lesson needed to be recognized at any given moment, and then finally, just like Hitchcock, summarizing the scene, offering a little sarcasm, a little humor, a lot of comfort by reminding us that no matter how bad things seem, none of it is real enough to spend time fretting over.

9 comments:

  1. Great post!

    Rear Window is my fav Hitchcock film too. Disturbing!

    My dad and I could get lost in Twilight Zone marathons (I put those kind of in the same category as Hitchcock). Again...eerily disturbing but good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I came so close to putting something in about Twilight Zone, but was trying to keep it narrow. But TOTALLY same category!

      Delete
  2. The Birds is the scariest thing I've ever read. We had this huge unit in 9th grade on that story. We had to devise a plan to save us all, then decide who we would save in the outside world (would you save folks in prison?), and present it to the class. SO. MUCH. PRESSURE! We also read the story in the dark, out loud. 1 reader with a Coleman lantern at a lectern with Christmas lights hung on the board behind the reader. Scary as all 40 hell.

    Rear Window did the same thing to D and me when we finally watched it. It started by watching Disturbia and liking it (hey, don't judge). I love me some Shia Labeouf. He's a crush from waay back when he had crazy hair on the Disney Channel. Anyway. We realized through Wiki-search that it was a remake/inspired by Rear Window. So we got it off of netflix, and we were both totally creeped out by it. We have an old man in our neighborhood who takes pictures out of his windows of things that strike him as strange.

    After that movie, I started watching Hitchcock Presents. You are 100% correct that his intros, conclusions, and bits between the segments are the best parts. I love when he would give a lead in to an ad that didn't come right after it because it was on DVD. That makes me giggle even thinking about his intros.

    My faves of his shorter ones are the one where the convict comes into the lady's kitchen and makes her help him and talk on the phone. I love that. And then the one where the folks in the small town all wind up covering up a murder. So cute and funny, yet super dark and disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that experience in 9th grade sounds INTENSE!

      I am so glad you mentioned Disturbia, I knew there was some more recent movie that I've seen with the same concept. Makes perfect sense now! And no shame loving Shia Labeouf! He is awesome! Even if his BEST role was on Even Stevens! (BRING EVEN STEVENS BACK!!! or has that ship sailed now that they are all in their 20's???)

      I love the Hitchcock Presents. He so OBVIOUSLY resented the hell out of commercials! Seriously though, those are like the greatest short stories turned into short films. Brilliant stuff.

      Delete
  3. You ARE a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carmen...I certainly do try. When are you gonna write something for this blog?

      Delete
  4. I haven't seen every Hitchcock movie, but I love every one I've seen. I have a soft spot for To Catch a Thief. Cary Grant and Grace Kelly? Perfection.
    And I love your dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you do. Its not scary at all.

    ReplyDelete