Search Here!

June 29, 2012

Mulligan!

I need a do over. 


A few weeks ago I made some claims about Carey Mulligan when I wrote this blog about the upcoming Great Gatsby movie. I was less than thrilled that she had been chosen for the role of Daisy, because I see Daisy as someone strikingly, almost breathtakingly beautiful in a very conventional plastic kind of way. I think I mentioned January Jones would have been better. 


Then I saw the movie Never Let Me Go. It's a dystopian movie about people who are cloned and born for one reason and one reason only, to serve as organ donors until they die. It's a quiet and devastating movie, but I loved it. Carey Mulligan stars with Andrew Garfield and Kiera Knightly in it. And when I say stars, I mean she is the star. She steals the screen in every scene. 
Windows to the soul.
I need to watch more of her movies, and I want to watch them now that I have seen her in action. She reminds me of Juliette Binoche in the way that she is able to communicate so much with a twitch of her mouth or slight raise of an eyebrow. And I think I understand why she was chosen to play Daisy. Because as shallow as Daisy might appear to be, she is deeply sad. And if there's one thing that Mulligan can portray, it's sadness. 


I pre-judged her, and I'm not afraid to say it. My newfound admiration for her has increased my excitement about Gatsby. I cannot wait.


Now Andrew Garfield on the other hand....I'm not ready to make nice on that one.

2 comments:

  1. Juliette Binoche - I love her as deeply as I love ... totally just forgot her name. The woman who plays the old lady in that movie. Judi Dench? totally spaced on that.

    I spent a year watching Chocolat over and over and over again. D still won't let me watch it again (3 years later).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judi Dench is scary in Notes on a Scandal! That movie is intense! But yes, Chocolat is fabulous. All of her movies are!

      Delete