Search Here!

June 5, 2012

True Romance: A Movie Review

It's rare for me to venture back to the movies of the early 90's to watch something that someone suggests. At this point in my life, I kind of think I've seen all of the quality ones, or at least heard of them and have some awareness of what I'm missing. 
Brilliant.
It's also rare for me to add a new movie to my favorites list. The last movie I added to the list was Inception, and that took writing multiple blogs on it to work out why exactly I loved it so much. I eventually landed on these three things: The concept was brilliant. The emotional content was brilliant. The music was brilliant (and I was probably manipulated by the swells and chords). Even so...it made the list. 


Last night I was Face-Timing (such an awkward way to say that) with my friend Joni and we were sharing about some of our favorite movies as we often do. She mentioned the movie, True Romance. I had never heard of it and she was shocked. She went on to list all of the people in the movie. You can read for yourself here:
Star. Studded.
I assured her I would try to find it and watch soon. She insisted on sooner than later. It happened to be for rent on iTunes and so I kicked back tonight on my couch and decided to watch.


True Romance was made in 1993, at the height of Christian Slater's career. And in this movie, he is as great as I remember him being when I was 14 and completely in love with him. Patricia Arquette comes out of nowhere for me. I have never really paid much attention to her, but in this movie she's adorable and strange. The two of them together are kind of magical. Oh, and Gary Oldman. Oh wow!
I can't even...
All of the acting is great, but the brilliance of this movie is the totally unexpected dialogue. It's off the wall and crazy and yet, completely believable. The storyline itself is pretty simple: couple in love, a little in over their heads with a drug deal, trying to make it out alive. It's violent for sure, and there's some pretty offensive language, so you've been warned. But it's so so so good. It's ironic and comes full circle in all the right ways. 


One of the things that caught me off guard was that some scenes are so full of tension that you will want to watch The Hurt Locker afterwords so you can relax. One in particular scene is a confrontation between Hopper and Walken. In your gut you know what's coming, but leading up to it is turmoil. I found myself smiling in awe, but looked down to see that I had crushed a handful of popcorn to bits while watching.
3 Words...You're So Cool.
I know this is all very vague, but when I start to tell you the details of a scene I find that I don't want to give it away at all! I think this is the same feeling Joni must have had when she was stressing that I just "have to watch it." She couldn't really seem to pinpoint the greatness, but assured me it was there.


I'm sure True Romance is not for everyone. I honestly had doubts that it would be for me. But after seeing it today, I am proud to announce that I have added it to my list of favorites. I'm a little ashamed that I have missed it all these years. If you get a chance, check it out.


Oh, and don't get me STARTED on the soundtrack....

4 comments:

  1. The dialogue you can credit my man Q for. His bizarre characters are what keeps me coming back to him again and again, no matter what. I love Alabama and Clarence. Our vehicles are named after them even. Srsly. LOVE THAT MOVIE! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it too! It's really fabulous. So I am dying to know the other ending you mentioned before...

      Delete
  2. He dies. They do NOT live happily ever after on a beach. That's what Q wanted to have happen at the end. I'm SUPER happy they didn't do that to me. I love that little couple on the beach with the kid. I think that's actually her real kid in that scene.

    ReplyDelete