Search Here!

June 8, 2012

Vitamin C and Other Musical Graduation Supplements

In sticking with the graduation theme, I thought it would be appropriate to mention some of the greatest "graduation songs." Most of these were not actually written for graduation purposes, but have more of a transitioning theme. They are songs we love because they mark times of change, even when we don't always love the change itself. I love how music has the ability to offer stability. Today I listened to Mumford and Sons just to see how they sound in China. They sound good. Really good. Anyway, before I digress into my love affair with music, here's a list of 13 "graduation songs" 1 for each year of high school and 1 to grow on! Some are personal favorites, some are just too classic to ignore, and some you might have buried deep down into that same grave that holds your high school yearbook photos and first kiss. Enjoy!
Seriously, great advice that everyone ignores.
Graduation is the Reason
While the rest of the songs on this list could be considered in a context other than graduation, there is no mistaking that these 3 which are clearly meant in a "you're free from high school" kind of way.  
1.School's Out-Alice Cooper
Memorable Lyric: Schooooool's out Completely! (That's about as final it gets.)
2.Everybody's Free (Wear Sunscreen)-Baz Luhrmann
Memorable Lyric (if you can call it a lyric):You are not as fat as you imagine. (A. Freaking. Men.)
3.Graduation (Friends Forever)-Vitamin C
Memorable Lyric: When we look back now, will that joke still be funny? (Nope. Probably not.)


Gone Country
It's no surprise that these country songs carry sentiment, but it is surprising that they have the staying power to make us feel a little emotional when we look back (and forward) on life.
4.Leaving On A Jet Plane-John Denver
Memorable Lyric: Don't know when I'll be back again. (I love a good open-ended journey.)
5.My Wish-Rascal Flatts
Memorable Lyric: Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small. (Funny how the exact opposite happens.)
6.The Dance-Garth Brooks
Memorable Lyric: I could have missed the pain, but I'd of had to miss the dance. (That pain will look like a measly splinter compared to what's coming.)
7.I Hope You Dance-Lee Ann Womack
Memorable Lyric: When you come close to selling out, reconsider. (Oh to have this option.)


Gonna Make You Cry
If you haven't slow danced in a group with your friends to these songs then you haven't lived.
8.It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday-Boyz II Men
Memorable Lyric: And I'll take with me the memories. (Years later it turns out that all your "memories" are yearbook photos.)
9.End of the Road-Boyz II Men
Memorable Lyric: Although we've come to the end of the road, still I can't let you go. (How is this about anything related to graduation at all?)
10.I Will Remember You-Sarah McLachlan
Memorable Lyric: Weep not for the memories. (Don't you dare.)

How is that lamp even on?
Going...Going...Gone
Now these...these are the songs I like to think of when I think of graduation. They offer a healthy perspective on the past but offer some hope for the future.
11.Free Bird-Lynyrd Skynyrd
Memorable Lyric: I'm as free as a bird now. (Fly while you can!)
12.We Are The Champions-Queen
Memorable Lyric: No time for losers cause we are the champions, of the world! (So mean, so innocent, so wrong.)
13.(Good Riddance)Time of Your Life-Green Day
Memorable Lyric: It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right. (Best "graduation" song ever.)



What's Your Favorite "Graduation" Song?

8 comments:

  1. Green Day's "Time of Your Life" is classic....it seemed to be used in every "say goodbye" photo slide show in college (from sorority to band) for several years!

    I thought about "Closing Time" (Semisonic) and then thought about something less traditional but definitely about finding one's self on a higher level...

    "Closer to Fine" (Indigo Girls)

    Selected Lyrics:
    "I went to see the doctor of philosophy
    With a poster of Rasputin and a beard down to
    his knee
    He never did marry or see a B-grade movie
    He graded my performance, he said he could see
    through me
    I spent four years prostrate to the higher mind,
    got my paper
    And I was free."

    and recurring in the chorus:
    "There's more than one answer to these questions
    pointing me in crooked line
    The less I seek my source for some definitive
    The closer I am to fine."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I love that Indigo Girls just made it into my blog! Thanks Melissa! And that song is so so great! But kind of a cut above some of the others. I thought about Closing Time too. Love that one.

      Delete
  2. I fought hard for Green Day to be our grad song. Sadly, it was some garbage rap hit that nobody remembers today and that had no message about moving into the future while remembering the past. I count it as my own unofficial graduation song. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What year did you graduate Lacey? I am dying to know what weirdo song that was!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. i kind of always thought it was the green day song... ???

      Delete
    2. maybe you can find out...ask around...at the reunion this weekend....;)

      Delete
    3. Heh. Its Father's Day weekend. I will have my inlaws at my house which means I won't be drinking. Which means I cannot deal with OHS folks.

      Delete