Search Here!

June 20, 2012

My 5 Favorite Moments in Musicals

This past weekend Rock of Ages hit the big screen. Unfortunately most of the reviews have been negative. I can't help but think these opinions are from people who either don't enjoy musicals or people who don't enjoy the 80's. There are a lot of both kinds of people out there. Rock of Ages was facing an uphill battle before it ever hit theaters. Of course, the thing that people tend to forget about both musicals and the 80's is that they are/were completely over the top and cheesy, and that's what is/was so great about them!


I haven't seen Rock of Ages, on stage or on screen, but I do love the cast of the film and cannot imagine that I would leave the theater with anything other than a huge smile. Just thinking about it makes me want to crank up the soundtracks to some of my favorite musicals and re-watch my favorite scenes from them. I recognize that what I'm about to do could be polarizing and cause great debates, but I just have to go out on a limb and give you my top 5 musical moments (on stage or film).
Puerto Rico...America...wherever Rita Moreno is, that's where I wanna be!
5. West Side Story-America-Movie
I can pretty much recite every note to this musical from the beginning whistles to the ending overture. Many of the musicals of the last 20 years have easter eggs in their lyrics that shout out directly to this masterpiece. The Romeo and Juliet story is tragic, but there is one moment in this musical that is so full of fun (and cultural awareness) that it stands out for me. The song "America" starts out like any conversation between friends that soon turns into a playful pissing match. The young men and women from Puerto Rico "argue" back and forth about the pros and cons of being in America. The men take the side that they are mistreated, the women promote that it's full of opportunity for them. The result is an upbeat dance number with hilarious rhyming one liners exposing the lingering racism and hopeful promise of the "land of the free." It's beautifully choreographed, brilliantly written, and maybe the last moment of pure happiness in the musical.


Hide your face so the world will never find you!
4. Phantom of the Opera-Masquerade-Stage
I've seen POTO on stage about 7 times. It's the only musical I've seen on Broadway. I will always take the opportunity to see it if it plays near me. It's magical from the first bang on the auction block to the last decrescendo of the minor to major chord progression. And the fact it's about theater gives it another layer of complexity. The ballads are unforgettable, the lyrics and overlapping melody in "Notes" is maybe one of the greatest musical feats ever completed, but the most fabulous and breathtaking scene in the musical is "Masquerade." The colorful and ornate costumes and sheer size of the cast is overwhelming. But what really does it, is the moment the cast breaks out singing in unison, the orchestra falls away, letting the voices boom out, punctuated by a bass drum and high trumpet. The scene is truly phenomenal. And just at the height, the Phantom enters breaking up the celebration with his demands for a new opera. Chilling. I couldn't find a video for this one that I could embed here. So Youtube it yourselves here!


I guess an 8th sibling would mess up that perfect staging.
3. The Sound of Music-So Long, Farewell-Movie
I had a great childhood. It was easy, trauma free other than the occasional cut or scrape, and full of love. But I would have traded it all to be one of the Von Trapp siblings with a nanny like Julie Andrews (as Maria OR Mary Poppins). It's hard to choose just one scene from this musical that encapsulates the greatness of Maria. "My Favorite Things" displays her kindness after the kids are so mean to her. "Do-Re-Mi" might prove that she's the best teacher ever. And "The Lonely Goatherd" is the most fun anyone has ever had in a musical. But "So Long, Farewell" is kind of every kid's fantasy. You show up at your dad's dinner party, put on a little show, and have every grown-up in the room respond to you. How many times did my cousin and brother and I attempt this feat? Hundreds. But it never quite went down as sweet as this.


To going against the grain, going insane, going mad!
2. Rent-La Vie Boheme-Either
I loved Rent the first time I heard the music, but when I learned the story of Jonathan Larson, the creator of the musical, it became my favorite hands down. Never has a life purpose been so clear, Larson lived so Rent would be written. The content is raw and in your face as it deals with AIDS, drugs, homosexuality, and the gap between the squatting poor and corporate America. It's the story of struggling artists trying to make their way in life without selling out to a 9-5 job that will just pay the damn rent. I get that struggle. I respect it. A lot of sad things happen in this musical, but right after a successful night of protest, the gang of friends goes to the local diner to celebrate with wine and beer, and are met with a former friend who has sold out. That's where "La Vie Boheme" begins, citing every fabulous thing that this subculture stands for from "Sondheim to Sontag to anything taboo." There are entire websites dedicated to this song and the many references in it. Some might think it's offensive, after all it does quote the Bible in ways you might not have heard before, but it's definitely an unforgettable moment in the musical. Oh, and if you don't know the story behind Rent and Jonathan Larson, go read about it right now. Go. Now. No day, but today.


And if I'm flying solo, at least I'm flying free!
1. Wicked-Defying Gravity-Stage
I will gladly admit I have a thing for Idina Menzel. In Rent, in Wicked, in Glee...in anything. But her best role is this one. The story of Wicked is kind of the story of my life. I am not a witch, I'm nothing you've heard...(sorry, a little political humor there...) But seriously, I can relate to having the right motives, the right goals, and being completely misunderstood in the process of getting there. I am Elphaba. If you've seen the musical, then you know there is nothing that compares to the moment when Elphaba and Galinda are trying to decide how to proceed with the information they have about the Wizard. "Defying Gravity" is the song they sing before they part ways, realizing that while they want the same thing, their methods of achieving justice are vastly different. Just as Elphaba is about to be seized by the guards who are after her, she mounts her broom and is raised up into the sky. The lighting and costume make her seem all powerful in that moment, and she belts out the most remarkable ending to any Act I, I have ever seen as she becomes the "Wicked" Witch.

Go ahead...I know you don't agree with me, so name yours. 
What's your favorite scene in a musical? Tell me all about it!

24 comments:

  1. You know what, I agree with all of those!!! (Especially Masquerade!!!) I will add to the list "This is the Moment" from Jeckyll and Hyde. Also "Tomorrow" in Annie was breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would! Also, I was VERY CLOSE to putting the Jekyll and Hyde one, but I thought it was a little to vague. That ending scene is killer! (literally...)

      Delete
    2. I ugly cry in Annie, too. "Maybe" and "Tomorrow" kill me.

      Delete
    3. Oh...Maybe...tearjerker!

      Delete
  2. Defying Gravity is right up there for me. I have this weird thing where I cry at certain musicals...not at sad parts, but as soon as the overture starts. Wicked is definitely one of those. I always try to keep it together because the person next to me is not a crazy weirdo (like me). Like if I don't get it together, it might turn into an ugly cry. I'm like that with Evita, too. Strangely, not with POTO...maybe because I know every.single.word.
    But a really moving moment to me is in Les Mis when the fighting is over at the barricade and they rotate the stage to show the dead students. Insert ugly cry by me.
    Also Moulin Rouge! - the last Come What May. It is so joyful and hopeful and blissfully unaware of what happens next.
    I could go on and on, but I keep getting interrupted by silly work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evita is so good! All of it! I need to dig out the complete soundtrack and do a little listening :)

      Delete
    2. I cry at the first note of EVERY musical and also through the ENTIRE cast call at the end. EVERY TIME. I need to see Les Mis. I know it from the music but need to see it in movie or on stage. Evita is an ugly cry for me. Even Madonna's can get me going. And of course I love Moulin Rouge, so much cheese. In fact, my playlist on iTunes for musicals is called, "cheddar."

      Delete
  3. My favorite five:
    Moses Supposes - Singin' in the Rain
    That's How You Know - Enchanted
    All for the Best - Godspell
    Our Love is Here to Stay - An American in Paris
    Well Did You Evah? - High Society

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I forget Singin' in the Rain?
      And someone ganked my copy of Enchanted. NOT happy.

      Delete
    2. I knew Romelle would go "old school" (that is not an age remark either...) I love Singin in the Rain and Oklahoma, and White Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Phantom holds such a special place for me. Just.LOVE. And like Amy, could probably recite every word and for a while could have pointed out changes to the libretto from the original London production. (Obsessed much?)

    Another number that stands out: "Cell Block Tango" from Chicago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you order that free copy of the libretto? I LOVED mine!

      Delete
    2. Melissa, I was SO close to adding in Cell Block Tango. For real! What free copy of libretto are you guys talking about?! Jill and I used to sing POTO when we had slumber parties. She would practice directing it before her drum major days. DORKS R US! But I still love it!

      Delete
    3. I think it was somewhere in the CD liner. There was an address where you could request a copy of the libretto. Or maybe it was in the book that I checked out of the library all.the.time.
      I cannot remember the name of the dang thing.

      Delete
    4. I must have had the deluxe cd set or something cause mine came with the libretto!

      Delete
    5. This is not the little one in the CD case. Its LP cover sized with the mask on the front.

      Delete
    6. Yeah, I need to get that...

      Delete
    7. I don't remember the free copy...I had the book from the CD case and then I think I had one checked out from the library maybe? I haven't tried to look it up but maybe it was "The Complete Phantom of the Opera"? (I remember one book had pics of London workshop/rehearsals)

      Delete
  5. I love Defying Gravity, but my FAVORITE moment in Wicked is "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished". The song is so powerful and the staging for it is simple, but effective. She goes through all these emotions during the song and I just love it, love it, love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Vicky! That is a great moment. Powerful indeed. I also love Galinda's part (she is Glinda at that point I think) where she sings, "Thank Goodness" but only those lines where she breaks off and says, "There's a kind of a sort of cost, there's a couple of things get lost, there are bridges you crossed you didn't know you crossed until you crossed......" OMG makes me cry every time. That little bit of vulnerability from her. So good.

      Delete
    2. And if that joy..that thrill...doesn't thrill like you think it will...

      I need to get my CDs out today!

      Delete
  6. My 5 would probably be: (Not sure of the titles of these but I do know most of the lines)
    Springtime in Hitler for Germany (Producers) - So funny!
    Man or Muppet (Muppets) - I am being serious.
    Another Day/Will I (Rent) - Couldn't decide between the 2.
    Elephant Love Song (Moulin Rouge) - Ewan dominates all the most famous love ballads.
    One Song Glory (Rent) - Just knowing the story of Larson made this my favorite. It was his "one song."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Austin, you are killing me with the Rent stuff cause I had a hard enough time deciding as it was! But those are all great. I still need to see the Muppets!

      Delete
    2. The Muppets was great!! Man or Muppet was hilarious...my friend and I were cracking up in the theater and we were the only ones laughing!! She looked at me and "whispered" "Are we the only ones with a sense of humor?" which only made us laugh harder/more obnoxiously!

      Delete