Search Here!

December 27, 2012

An Evil Job Well Done--By Carmen

As previously established here on Weekend Fat, some actors nail it and others just do not.  In my viewing experience there are some actors who did such a great job with an evil character that I now can’t see past it.  These people will forever be these characters and as you will see, that’s not necessarily a good thing.

Meryl Streep- Miranda Priestly in The Devil Wears Prada
That's all.
In a previous post I state that I don’t really like Meryl, and this is why. She was the horrible to Anne Hathaway in this movie.  I know it was just a movie but I felt sorry for all the people in it.  I understand that this movie was maybe a little bit based on Anna Wintour. And so I’m thinking, do people really have to be that nasty in real life, or do they do it for fun?  Since I don’t know Anna, Meryl took the hit.

Philip Seymour Hoffman- Reverend Veasey in Cold Mountain
Philip was never my favorite guy.  I saw him as Sandy Lyle in Along Came Polly and he was just gross.  So when he showed up in Cold Mountain as a (still) gross, adulterous, murderer, there was just no going back. 
I'm glad they shaved his hair off.
And as Sandy Lyle for good measure.
Edward Norton-Aaron in Primal Fear
It’s been a long time since I last saw this one.  But (as is the point of the movie) you spend the whole movie feeling sorry for this kid, and then BAM!  It’s really Ed’s face and laugh that sell it.  
There never was an Aaron either...
Anjelica Huston-Rodmilla in Ever After
I was an impressionable 18 year old when this movie came out. I don’t remember being familiar with any of Angelica’s work before this. Her proper hatred and demure arrogance as Danielle’s stepmother was hard to watch.  And that jet black hair helped to sell the package.  She is now the voice of the wise Queen Clarion in the Disney Tinker Bell franchise.  I think her voice is perfectly sweet for Queen Clarion, and then I remember who it is……
These two cannot be the same person. They just can't be.
And I am  on the fence on this last one. 
  
Kevin Bacon-Sean Nokes in Sleepers
I've seen a picture more wrinkled than this, I swear.
Kevin has done so much (hence the game 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon) but this character stuck with me.  Kevin has one of those faces that seems too wrinkled and worldly to be good. I remember a scene where the boys he abused encounter him in a bar and he is all boozed up and lonely. Creeptastic.

Is there an evil character that stayed with you?

1 comment:

  1. Kevin Bacon really should play a bad guy more often. I love him in River Wild. I also think Anjelica Huston can be scary in ANYTHING. She has a terrifying face. So stern. I think I would have to add Alan Rickman to this list...the character...ALL OF THEM. He's the best bad guy ever for me.

    ReplyDelete