Search Here!

December 6, 2012

Surviving China: A Playlist

The best advice I got before I came to China for the year was to take my iPod and headphones everywhere I go. It’s kind of a no-brainer in light of my love for music, but the root of the advice is that when you’re walking along, doing your thing, living in China after a few weeks and you don’t see any English or hear any English or see anyone who looks anything like you, at least there is familiar music playing in your ears. I’ve really taken this to heart. When I take off each morning on my walk to class, I put my music on. I do the same on the walk back. In the car on the way to wherever I’m going, on the train. I keep my music going pretty much anytime I am not in conversation with someone or in my apartment.

I have a lot of music. I’m not in the top tier of music owners. I know some fanatics who have 50,000 songs or more. I am coming in at around 8000 these days, but I think that’s substantial. I’ve learned that with so much music, playlists are essential. I could spend days and days organizing my music, and often, I do. No one wants to listen to The Who right after Amy Grant. Or a song from Rent next to a Frank Sinatra. Okay, so those are not at all an adequate sampling of my music...just for the record.

A few days ago I decided to check out to see what I’ve played the most while here in China, and I assembled a playlist called “Surviving China.” Since I’m almost done here, I thought I’d share a few songs with you, with no, vague, or way too detailed explanations. Oh, and don’t judge me, you might be surprised what you choose to listen to when you spend a year alone in a foreign country.

Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks-Dreams, Gypsy, The Chain
I recently rediscovered Fleetwood Mac. I was one of those people in college who kinda went back and forth on Stevie’s voice, then in California when my love for Joni Mitchell tripled, I think Stevie got ushered in too. I started listening more and more, and by the time Glee did their Rumours episode, I was a legit fan. I know, late in the game, but I also know lots of people who have this same story about Stevie. Anyway, I find myself going back to the above songs this year. Turning them on feels very grounding, almost like putting roots down. And that’s something that I’ve needed this year. I feel like I could float away sometimes and no one would know or notice. These songs have helped with that feeling. “I have no fear, I have only love.”

Ingrid Michaelson-Keep Breathing
A Promise To Keep-Brandi Carlile

Brandi Carlile-A Promise To Keep

Natalie Merchant-Kind and Generous 
Remembering to be thankful throughout this year has been hard in my worst moments. I get lonely, a little depressed, and find myself wanting to blame someone, ANYONE, for not being there for me. For this not being easier. For so many things. But this song is grounding and when I stop naval-gazing for 2 seconds and look around at the people in my life, the opportunities I’ve had, I cannot be anything but thankful. 

Sarah McLachlan-Hold On 

Damien Rice-Delicate 

David Gray-Babylon
I just love the line, “The love that I was, giving you was, never in doubt.” Love his voice, love the song, brings back great light memories and makes me feel somehow hopeful too.

John Mayer-Say, 3x5 
All At Sea-Jamie Cullum

Jamie Cullum-All At Sea

Coldplay-Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall, Us Against The World, Swallowed in the Sea
I am a total geek when it comes to Coldplay. I love them. I just do. These three are a good sampling for me here. The upbeat anthem, the super slow and sweet love song, and the quiet but building with the greatest lines, “Oh what good is it to live? With nothing left to give? Forget, but not forgive...not loving all you see!?” I have taken those words as a personal challenge this year. 

Van Morrison-Into The Mystic

Elvis Costello-Hoover Factory

The National-About Today
The song from The Fighter that still haunts me when I hear it. It’s soothing and melancholy, but ultimately has a slow steady beat with good instrumentation, the words are sad, but I like them that way.

Pearl Jam-Just Breathe

One Republic-Good Life

Mumford & Sons-Hopeless Wanderer, White Blank Page

The Weepies-World Spins Madly On
If you are not familiar with this song, you should get that way soon. It’s a really simple song, with great words and truth behind it. It gives me a resigned/content feeling. It is what it is, the world stops for no one.

Gotye-Somebody That I Used To Know
Things To Say-SafetySuit

SafetySuit-Things To Say

Spencer and Antfood-Trek
This song was from a commercial on Hulu and it hooked me every time. I love the name of it. Feels very appropriate to where I am right now.

Fun.-We Are Young

Linkin Park-Waiting For The End

And of course...

The Cure-Pictures of You
I already blogged on this one...check it out here.


What songs have kept you going during 
tough or unusual times?

2 comments:

  1. Rascal Flatts "Stand" got me through the end of Grad school. I was so tired and ready to give up and that song epitomized what I needed to hear to get through. I call it my "Grad Anthem."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Vzpjv_kR4

    ReplyDelete