Search Here!

December 12, 2012

Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas


Yesterday, Vicky unleashed the most obscure Christmas song ever on us, and so it’s now my duty to share with you the most obscure Christmas movie.

This movie is so near and dear to my heart that about 7 years ago I got on eBay to buy a VHS copy of it, for like $35. The transaction ended up in a dispute and after a 5 month resolution I finally received it. It was like April, not the time for this kind of movie. And I think I watched it with some people who did not appreciate the awesomeness of it, which can really put a damper on movie watching. Unfortunately, it was stolen in my move to California along with most of my movies.
Emmet
Jim Henson made the movie, which is actually a television special based on a book. Kermit hosted the special which aired in 1980. At some point the movie worked its way into our holiday traditions during my childhood. It was a musical. And Emmet Otter was maybe the cutest thing I’ve ever seen. I remember snuggling up with my mom to watch it each year, and I might have had the toys from the movie at some point in my life, though that part is vague.

The story is a twist on The Gift of the Magi, where two people exchange gifts that they each acquired by sacrificing their livelihoods. Emmet and Ma are poor and get along on what they make doing odd jobs and laundry around town. Because of their gifts and the irony of them, they end up with one last chance to make ends meet, a talent show. They each perform and do a great job, but the Riverbottom Nightmare Band wins. On their way home from the show Ma and Emmet sing their songs together, and are overheard by the owner of a local restaurant. He gives them a job singing, and they are employed once again, and saved from poverty.
Riverbottom Nightmare Band
I love musicals, and this one is silly and folksy, but also sweet. As I said earlier, Emmet is adorable, and the kindness he shows his widowed mother is admirable. Ma’s selflessness and encouraging nature are what everyone wants in a mother. I also remember loving the Riverbottom Nigthmare Band. They sing a song that is somewhat reminiscent of the Beatle’s “Come Together.” This movie was before Labyrinth and just before The Dark Crystal, and some of the puppetry in it is really cutting edge for its time.  But what I love most about it is the thing I love about all Christmas movies. As formulaic as they might be, I love that moment when my nose starts itching and the tears start to pour out of my eyes at the sweetness on the screen.
Ma, Emmet, and the gang.
Emmet Otter is a touching story, and while it might be a tad outdated, the theme is timeless. Now excuse me, I just read there’s a DVD with an hour of behind the scenes footage, and I must find and order it!

5 comments:

  1. Have you seen the Christmas Toy? That's a puppet movie too. A friend introduced me to that one. You should watch it (it might be a Jim Henson movie too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. http://www.amazon.com/The-Christmas-Toy-Zachary-Bennett/dp/B001EN5I40

      Delete
  2. My husband introduced me to this sweet movie last year. It was on Netflix, so we were able to watch it streaming. It was so sweet and a great take on a classic Christmas story. I remember watching Muppet Christmas specials like when all of the Muppets AND Sesame Street characters gathered at Fozzi's mom's house for Christmas. Even the Fraggles were there. Muppet Christmas Specials = Great Memories! And this is obscure, but I think I still win. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 Pack!
    http://www.amazon.com/Emmet-Otters-Jug-Band-Christmas-The/dp/B002L5KA7A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355333771&sr=8-2&keywords=emmet+otters+jugband+christmas


    it doesn't look like it streams anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite childhood Christmas movies!! My brother, sister and I watched it every year growing up. Last year, my Mom surprised us with the DVD and we watched it for the first time in years. It was still as good as I remembered!!

    ReplyDelete