Search Here!

December 17, 2012

John Mayer is a Poet and Probably Knows It


I keep my music on shuffle when I walk to class, about 3000 songs in the mix of a playlist I call “the good stuff.” The other day John Mayer’s “New Deep” made its way into the mix and I found myself wanting to listen to the entire Heavier Things album. One of my favorites.

Mayer is not my favorite person, or even my favorite artist. His voice is unique and good enough. As a person he’s a garbage snack. But I cannot get enough of his lyrics. With the exception of his most recent album (because I haven’t really studied that one yet) here are some of my favorite John Mayer lyrics.
You don't fool me, John Mayer. I know you're no good under that Johnny Depp haircut and hippie blanket.

I can’t wait to figure out what’s wrong with me, so I can say this is the way that I used to be. -- Split Screen Sadness

So I check the weather wherever you are cause I wanna know if you can see the stars tonight, it might be my only right. --Split Screen Sadness

You know I used to be the back porch poet with my book of rhymes always open knowing all the time I’m probably never gonna find the perfect rhyme, for heavier things. -- New Deep

Was anything enough to kiss the ground? -- Clarity

You should have seen that sunrise with your own eyes. It brought me back to life. -- 3x5

When autumn comes, it doesn’t ask. It just walks in, where it left you last. And you never know, when it starts, until there’s fog inside the glass around your summer heart. -- Something’s Missing

I survive on the breath you are finished with. -- Come Back To Bed

How dare you say it’s nothing to me? Baby you’re the only light I ever saw. -- Slow Dancing In A Burning Room

Now do I have to fall asleep with roses in my hands? -- Dreaming With A Broken Heart

And when you trust your television, what you get is what you got. Cause when they own the information, oh, they can bend it all they want. -- Waiting On The World To Change

Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring. And half of my herat is the part of a man who’s never truly loved anything. -- Half Of My Heart

Even if your hands are shaking, and your faith is broken. Even as the eyes are closing, do it with a heart wide open. -- Say
Works for me.

How do you feel about John Mayer? What are your favorite lyrics of his?

2 comments:

  1. I feel about the same as you. He's a royal A number 1 jerk, he can sing ok, but those lyrics, man, they are magical. You don't want to like him, but you kinda do somehow because of those words. (Spine shiver). I agree with your lyrics, especially the last three. I add: "One day our generation Is gonna rule the population. So we keep on waiting, Waiting on the world to change." -Waiting On the World to Change. Scary and amazing to think about. That song is about my generation and it really hits home for me.
    And whenever I think about John Mayer, I think about Emma Stone in the beginning of "Friends with Benefits," "He is the Sheryl Crow of our generation. John F***in' Mayer!" HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I need a shower whenever I read about or think about him. I can't explain why. I think it's a combination of his dirty hair and him being linked to every woman in Hollywood. Taylor Swift, really?

    ReplyDelete