Search Here!

December 14, 2012

"Christmas" Movies I Love


By now you probably know enough about me and my preferences in pop-culture to know that I am not a huge fan of formulaic movies/TV. Christmas movies are a perfect example of this. Missing or disappearing or estranged family members coming home just in time to cut the turkey. Trauma and crisis working themselves magically with the help of a Santa or Elf or Ghost. Materialistic people suddenly realizing the true meaning of the holidays. And the tears...so many tears. The music swells, the family hugs, and even though I am fully aware I have been manipulated, I still cry. And my mom cries. And there we are, at “the most wonderful time of the year” crying together on the couch at the TV. It might be tradition, but we should not submit ourselves to these Lifetime wannabes time and time again! 

My favorite Christmas movies are actually movies that happen or mention Christmas, but don’t necessarily revolve around the holiday itself. I can’t say these are in any way traditional, and I doubt Lifetime would show them, but here they are!
Creepy.
Gremlins
Still one of the most unexpectedly creepy movies around. Gremlins fools you with the cute Gizmo, only to turn his offspring into these horrendous messy obnoxious creatures that kill people. The movie takes place at Christmastime which is really a brilliant balance if you think about it. Scenes that would otherwise be seriously scary draw some laughter...think Addams Family. It’s Black Comedy, music and setting work against the dark events of the movie and make them a little lighter. Of course, if I’m honest, this movie does seriously scare me. But you know, I like it that way. Best Scene: The very last scene for sure. It just stays with you.
Enough said.
Die Hard
This is one of, if not THE best action movie ever made. Bruce Willis, Bonnie Bedelia, and Alan Rickman really brought it in this film. Willis (a cop) is going to make nice with his estranged wife on Christmas Eve, but before he can get to her, the high rise she works in is taken over by...Alan Rickman (Hans Gruber) and his crew of bad guys. I think what I love about this movie is that it gets right to the point. The set up happens quickly and the movie is fast paced from the very beginning. Willis basically has to take down an entire gang of terrorists on his own, and manages to do it creatively and effectively. The movie has great one liners, great acting, and a nice ending. Best Scene: End scene when you think the movie is over, but it’s not, and the unexpected crazy man comes out shooting, only to be taken down by Carl Winslow. ;) Hehe.
Caesar Romero was tall.
While You Were Sleeping
This is my mother’s very favorite movie. The set up happens on Christmas Day, when Sandra Bullock saves Peter Gallagher from an oncoming train. The best scenes in this movie revolve around Peter’s family and their fantastic conversations with each other. The idea of family is really emphasized and is something Bullock doesn’t have, but quickly becomes a part of. The themes might be Christmassy but the movie doesn’t require the holiday to make sense. What hooked me is that Bullock loves the idea of traveling and got her passport just in case she suddenly needed to leave the country. I think I got my first passport simply because of this movie, and having decided to leave the country rather quickly a few times, I can honestly tell you it is a great idea to do so. Best scene: Dinner conversation with the family for sure. But secondly, there’s this little gem: Early one morning, a paper boy is riding his bike and tosses a paper, but when he does, he swerves his handles and busts it. Totally underrated moment, totally hilarious.
I bet you want this on a T-Shirt don't you?
Almost Famous
The most perfect movie ever made, begins with Alvin and the Chipmunks singing their Christmas serenade. Other than that, the movie really has nothing to do with Christmas...seriously. Like less than the previous three I’ve mentioned even. But who cares. It’s the most perfect movie ever made. Best scene: Everyone singing Tiny Dancer on the bus.
Don't let your arms get tired!
Hook
Again, the movie begins at Christmastime, which is why Peter and his family are visiting Wendy. While everyone else is occupied with being together and celebrating the holiday, Peter is preoccupied with work. The fact it’s Christmas makes his preoccupation even more obvious. I love this movie. It’s wonderful on so many levels I can even forgive the choice of Julia Roberts as Tinkerbell (not everyone can rock a pixie cut.) Best scene: The food fight is definitely at the top of the list.

There are a lot of other ones out there...can you think of any? What’s your favorite Non-Christmas Christmas Movie?

3 comments:

  1. Love Actually!! One of my very favorite movies and makes me cry pretty much every time. Great soundtrack too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serendipity. Not the best movie ever, but Christmas is in there and I always enjoy John Cusack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always want to watch the first Harry Potter movie around Christmas time. I don't know if it originally came out over Christmas, or I got used to watching the new Harry Potter over the holidays or what. But, the first movie was so well done and it was a brand new world for everyone. Makes me feel Christmasy. If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete