Search Here!

July 24, 2012

Color Them Bad: Disney Villains

My recent dive into Once Upon A Time made me really begin to think about fairy tales. I think it's time for Weekend Fat to tackle some Disney topics! I know some of you might feel passionately about Disney, so if you have a post you want to write, then bring it on! It can be about your favorite something, comparing two things, or you can just totally geek out on what you love about Disney. I'm flexible! You can submit your suggestion/blog to me in a Facebook message or email me at catidwell222@gmail.com

One of the most captivating parts of Once Upon A Time is the Evil Queen. She is eerily beautiful, yet selfish, manipulative, and powerful. She is so obviously evil. It makes me wish that life's "villains" were as easy to spot as the ones in Disney movies! Most of the time they are discolored and exaggerated in everything from their sharp features to their dramatic clothing. And more often than not, they have clearly defined personality and or mental disorders. But I love a good villain. No matter how mild or extreme. Sharpay is my favorite part of High School Musical. I'm on team Angelina. I love to root for the "bad guy."

Here are a few of the worst/my favorite Disney Villains:
Don't underestimate the importance of body language!
Ursula-The Little Mermaid
She's the living worst! She's very clever and super crafty. I love everything about her. Her size, her hair, the fact that she can barely keep her boobs to herself, and I love that she's an octopus with her symbolic tentacles wrapping all over things. She comes off as so helpful, like she's doing Ariel such a favor, and in truth she really is! I mean, without the time Ariel gets to spend with Eric on land as a human, there's no way he would have fallen for her. Of course things get really twisty when Ursula decides to become human herself to compete with Ariel. The ending is the best though. How do you make a plus-sized villain scarier? Make her even more plus-sized! Just look at Rosie O'Donnell.
Putting a curse on a baby is pretty sinister.
Maleficent-Sleeping Beauty
This is my personal favorite Disney movie, but as much as I enjoy it, there is nothing likable about Maleficent. She is the scariest of the villains hands down. Maybe it's the fact she is so gracefully composed, so put together. Maybe it's her angular features and puke green coloring. Or maybe it's just that she turns into a dragon and summons all the powers of hell! Yeah, that's the one. Maleficent is not kidding around when it comes to being bad.
She named her cat, Lucifer. What other reason do you need?
Lady Tremaine-Cinderella
The thing about Lady Tremaine, also known as, Stepmother, is that her persona ended up making life hard for anyone who will ever be a stepmother in real life! Demi Moore's character in St. Elmo's Fire even refers to her stepmother as "step-monster." The stereotype has transcended the thousands of loving stepmother's that exist out there in the world, giving them an uphill battle from the moment they say "I do." While most stepmother's might not actually be this bad, Cinderella's is just awful. She treats her like a slave, is unfair at every turn, and seems to truly wish evil on her. More than anything, she's just manipulative; pitting the step sisters against Cinderella and letting them do her dirty work.
A terrible tyrant who throws temper tantrums!
Queen of Hearts-Alice in Wonderland
The only thing worse than someone manipulative is someone who's irrational. She's like the aunt who never yelled at you for fighting or graffiti, but almost tore your head off when you spilled a drink at dinner. All of the characters Alice encounters in Wonderland have some madness, but the Queen of Hearts is truly psychotic. Everyone in her life works overtime and out of fear to make her happy, though with her mood swings, it's hard to predict what will actually please her. She's loud, she's red-faced, and she loves her roses.
If you have to tell people you're a good king, you're probably not.
Scar-The Lion King
Scar isn't the scariest of villains with his army of nazi-hyenas, but you have to have a black heart to betray your brother to the point of murder. The Hamlet-ish storyline shows the development of Scar's jealousy into paranoia and back into jealousy. He is a lazy coward who relies on  his minions to get anything done. But his "reign" is characterized by famine causing his own to turn on him in the end. Is there a ride at Disney World called Karma?
If she doesn't scary you, no evil thing will.
Cruella De Vil-101 Dalmatians
If you translate these villains to real life, Cruella might be the worst. I mean, in short, she wants to make a coat out of the fur of puppies. Horrendous. Have you ever seen a puppy? I mean, who could be that awful? Her name minus the "la" is literally Cruel Devil. She's rich though, and one downside to having that much money is that you get used to having other people do things for you. And that's where Cruella makes her mistake. She hires two incompetent thieves to steal the puppies and when they fail, she becomes impulsively reckless. It's her madness that eventually lands her in custody of the cops.

Who is the worst Disney Villain? Who is your favorite?

14 comments:

  1. Worst villain is Maleficent, hands down. Curse on baby, raging thorny forest fire, dragon. She is horrible. And she gives spinning wheels a bad name. I don't know what you use a spinning wheel for exactly, but I am fairly certain those craftsmen don't like her either.
    My favorite villain? I don't have one, it's like loving a puppy strangeler. There is a store at Hollywood studios in Disney world dedicated to villains. I go in but am not cool enough to pull off their gear. Maybe my favorite villain should be Grumpy. Not really a villain but grumpy all the time, which is bad in a Disney movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you liken it to a puppy strangler! Hilarious, and so true! That's the thing about Disney Villains...you never really get to see what made them that way, unlike Comic Book Villains. They are bad and just are. I am not so sure you have to master "cool" to sport gear from the Disney Villain store, but I do think you have some kind of bitchiness to really pull it off. Grumpy is too lovable to be bad!

      Delete
    2. You get back story on Lotso. I loathe him. Maleficent is awesome and so scary.
      Gaston is pretty bad, too. I think because he is a real person...much like Sid in TS. Those kind of monsters could definitely be real.

      Delete
    3. I want Gabrielle from
      Desperate Housewives and Gaston to get married!

      Delete
  2. The villain who scared me the most as a child was Cruella. I loved 101 Dalmations, but she gave me the screaming memes.

    I love Ursula because she's a character I can relate to: short hair, buxom, plus size. Check. Check. Check.

    Some of my faves that didn't make the list come from the same movie. 1 is a true villainess, but the other is only partly villain. Kuzco and Yzma.

    Kuzco is a jerk at the beginning of the movie and nearly right on out the end of it too. He finally devillains at the end, but it's a close thing.

    Yzma is just plain bad. You can't get any more bad than she is- sharp angles everywhere, violent, self-centered, hateful. She denies food to a peasant who has come to beg Kuzco's help when she steps into his position without permission. Then she tries to poison the emperor. She lies like a dog. She's mean to small animals. She's mean to Kronk who is mentally incapable of understanding her meanness. She's never a good person, even after she's turned into a tiny kitten. I love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I need to revisit this movie. People reference it a lot, but I missed it somehow. I will rewatch and get back to you. :)

      Delete
  3. Love this. I love me some Disney, but I'm not fanatical about it. Like the way you think through things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you Kasey. I enjoy it, but I am not fanatical. However, lots of people are!

      Delete
  4. Disney!!! Maleficent was the best/worst villain ever. I loved (still love) Sleeping Beauty but it also scared me the most as a child. Must be a sign that they were doing something right.

    I LOVE The Emperor's New Groove. Probably one of the smartest movies (before Pixar) that Disney ever did. Thanks David Spade. So, Yzma was superb.

    And, I don't know if he would qualify as a villain, but he was on the "bad guys" side - Iago, the bird from Aladdin. A true villain is super selfish and he was always out for himself above all.

    Much love for Ursula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I told Lacey up there, I will have to revisit The Emperor's New Groove. I missed the brilliance of it the first time around...maybe I was babysitting or something while watching.

      I'm glad you touched on Iago. I am thinking about doing a Disney Villain sidekick blog. Iago is by far the most defining one.

      Delete
    2. I LOVE IAGO! hahaha I can't believe I forgot about him. I think you should maybe do a whole series: best hero, best side kick, best evil sidekick (like you said), best female character (not necessarily a princess).

      AND I forgot about another villain I like: Dr. Facilier. He's got great hair, a good hat, snazzy dance moves, and the cutest/scariest voodoo dolls ever! I have to admit that I've spent most of the time since April watching this movie at night. haha I love The Princess Frog.

      This is a crazy link- The Wickedpedia. What the what?! hahha
      http://disneyvillains.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Facilier

      Delete
    3. I almost included the voodoo stuff. creepy!

      Delete
  5. You know that there is no real "villian" in Finding Nemo. No central baddie. The sharks aren't really bad, and neither is the dentist or Darla. Its all just circumstance.
    The worst one is the barracuda at the beginning...and again, that's circumstance. No one was out to get each other in that movie. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true. but it falls into another category of kid movie that I will discuss soon..... hehehehehe!

      Delete