Search Here!

July 27, 2012

Shame On Me If You Fool Me Twice: Disney Sequels

Disney sequels go back...way back. Like back to 1944 with the Three Caballeros as the sequel to Saludos Amigos. But the first sequel to a full length animated film was The Rescuers Down Under. It was received well. I've always thought it was interesting that they started with The Rescuers of all movies. It probably would have been okay if they had stopped there, right where it started. But some brilliant mind figured out that there is a lot of money in the straight to video market, and so it was really just the beginning of the Disney sequel market.
Is this about the cats getting married?
I have never seen a Disney sequel (when I say sequel, I also mean prequel) to an animated film. AND for the record, I never want to. Now, I know many people with children who like to pop in these sequels as entertainment, and that's fine for them. It only proves that maybe there IS a place for Disney sequels. But that place is at best a babysitter, a little slice of mindlessness to buy mom a few more minutes to clean or talk on the phone or some quiet in the van. I know how these things work. Disney sequels are good for something, but I still don't think that they are not good.
Might as well be Step Up 4 to me.
I read an article that actually said "sequels to Disney movies have tarnished the Disney name." I could not agree more! I am not in denial, I know that Disney is a money making operation above all else. But where's the integrity in taking tried and true stories and watering the lessons in them down, or adding thin story lines that vaguely resemble the original?
I didn't even like the first one!
Urban dictionary defines a Disney sequel as "a way for Disney to screw it's classic films." Maybe I'm not the greatest spokesperson given my stand and refusal to watch a sequel, but I like to think of it as a purist view of things. I'm a Disney sequel virgin and plan to stay that way...at least until I have kids I need to pacify.

Do you feel the same way? 
Or can you convince me that there is some merit in the infamous Disney Sequel?

4 comments:

  1. You've seen Toy Story 2 and 3 right? 2 is good. 3 is the best one! And I love all 3 Tinker Bell movies. I am going back in our shared history trying to prove your statement wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but are those animated? I am not sure...I was trying to stick to a certain definition that would kind of exclude the Toy Stories. They stand alone to me. As far as Tinker Bell movies...can't say I have seen them. I LOVE that you are trying to prove me wrong! I miss you!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to have to jump on the bandwagon with you with 2 exceptions. I totally dug Rescuers Downunder. That bird kills me! I also am a HOOOGE fan of Lion King 1 1/2. It's not AS good at 1, but it's good enough to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rescuers Down Under IS the exception and the ONLY one to the sequel thing. I will not even promise that I will check out Lion King 1 1/2 given how I feel about the first one...

      Delete