Search Here!

July 15, 2012

A Girl With Not Much Writes About Having It All

I've tried to figure out how to enter the "having it all" conversation that's been going around the past few weeks. I've read so many articles and blogs and ridiculously extreme Facebook posts around the concept. All of course stemming from the now infamous article in The Atlantic by Anne-Marie Slaughter.


The original article was meant (I believe) to point out some of the STILL existing double standards, judgments, and impossibilities revolving around professional women who are also mothers. It explains basic frustrations like the fact that it still seems acceptable for men to be gone on work trips for days at a time, but if a working woman can't get dinner on the table by 6, she's failing. The article points out that in most places, in most jobs, women still make less money than men. The article was meant to address some of these types of issues as well as give a nod to the intense pressure of being a professional woman and mother. It also addressed some lies that women who have gone before us have told (I'm looking at you Boomers) and expectations they have set up about how we should be able to have it all. It is a confessional article; one woman's perspective based on her experiences with a few statistics and facts dabbled in. The article is well constructed and aimed at a certain demographic of women (highly educated, high-level professionals) but struck a nerve with a lot of people due to the obviously timely delivery. Slaughter's article has made "having it all" theeee phrase of 2012. 
That's it?
I can't ignore the topic anymore. As the discussion keeps rolling out, I've decided that it's time to share my thoughts and hopefully start a conversation about having it all.


Don't yell at me for my less than feminist opinion here, but.....I don't really believe that anyone can have it all. And now for my judgmental opinion...why are you even trying to have it all!? And now for my oblivious opinion...what does having it all even mean!?


Sometimes I think that when we talk about having it all, we are really talking about wanting things to be easy. Not having to make choices, because choices come with consequences. Even in our daily tasks we cannot have it all. If you choose the pizza for lunch, you cannot have the body you want. If you choose a yoga class over coffee with a friend, you cannot have the emotional connection that you want. It is natural and normal for us to choose what we want most on a day to day basis and live with the consequences. The problem is that when it comes to life, some of us don't know what we want, or better yet, we are not in a place to be able to choose what we do think we want. And worse yet...our minds change!
A game indeed.
This of course, coming from a person with...well...almost "nothing." Full disclosure here: If you have been reading this blog you should know a little about me. I'm a single 33 year old woman who was fired from my chosen career only to be thrust into unemployment until I started working at Starbucks because they pay above minimum wage and offer benefits to part time employees. (Pardon the shameless plug...I loved working there.)  I spent my free time at Starbucks too, filling out job applications and networking for something, ANYTHING that might use one of my 3 degrees. I ended up as an adjunct at a community college, (adjunct equals no security at all) when the opportunity to come to China and teach for a year presented itself. I took it, not because it paid well, but because of the experience. 


In the last 3 years I went from making almost 50K a year to bringing in 12K last year, and this year, I will ring in at a whopping 10K. I owe over 60K in student loans. The last thing I am aiming for in my life is having it all. I would like to be able to pay my bills and have a full time job again at some point. My life is packed away in a storage unit in my hometown and has been for over 2 years. I'd love to move out of my parents house (did I mention I live with my parents?) at some point, but that seems impossible at the moment. I'd like to get married some day. I might want to have kids, I think. But those things seem a little out of my control, so I avoid spending a lot of time daydreaming/fretting over them. By Slaughter's standards and probably yours too...I have next to nothing. Oh, and also, I'm overweight.


And here's my secret...I'm happy. 


Because a while back I heard something that changed my life. "Comparison is the thief of joy." And ALL seems less important to me than JOY. Yes I have relapses of envy and moments of wanting! But for the most part, I have changed the "scorecard" of my life. Instead of checking off college, career, husband, house and kids. I have checked off, college, travel, college, travel, travel, career, college, travel, career change, good friend...etc. Choosing joy is not always easy. It certainly takes more effort on some days. In no way am I condoning being fake about your life or pretending you have no problems. That's just hiding, which hurts everyone and keeps you from having real friends around when you need them. I am simply suggesting that if you stop yourself from measuring your life against someone else's, it really is freeing. Let the fact that you spent time in Europe in college count for something. Or be glad that your kids are polite even though they are messy. Or that your husband is home for dinner even though you can't afford that vacation this year. These things matter in big ways. Let them.
Life changing.
The pressure put on us comes from US. Ourselves of course, but unfortunately, more often from each other. There have definitely been times that my friends (and mother) have drilled me about dating or not dating and there have been other times that people have suggested that I just take the clerical job that pays consistently so that I can get back on my feet. And as much as I have tried to appreciate their concerns, I have been frustrated by their lack of understanding that my life doesn't have to look like theirs. As soon as I found the freedom to say that and believe it, I learned that most women have begun to rejoice with me in it and set themselves free too! My mother seems more proud of me today (though I know she wants grandchildren) than ever. Older friends envy my freedom to travel and take opportunities like China, they tell me they are living vicariously through me. Women my age are more brutal but tend to not be great advocates for marriage and kids and consistent jobs as they complain on Facebook or present their lives negatively at almost every turn. This just makes it easier to tune them out. I hear their words to me as a pleading..."come join me in my exhaustion!" I just watched an entire season of Desperate Housewives, uninterrupted. I'm good. 


Here's the thing...having it all is a lie, not because it's truly impossible, but because it implies that there's always something more to have. And as long as you are seeking, you can't really be still and enjoy what you actually have. Please, change your scorecard to match your life! Let walking the dog at night count for something instead of yelling at yourself for not making it to the gym. If your kid doesn't make perfect grades or behave the way you want her to, don't fill the house with turmoil because so and so's kid has it together. Stop judging your life, stop trying to control everything to get perfect results. Give yourself, and those around you, some grace. 


Here I am. Let it sink in. 10K. No house. Single. No kids. No full time job. Is this the life I dreamed about? Not even close. Do I have ambition, of course! I'm always working toward something. But I refuse to waste my time focusing on what is lacking. And I hope hope HOPE that you can look at your life, whether you chose it or whether it just happened to turn out this way, and find the joy in all that you do have.


Your Turn...Talk to me about Having It ALL! 
Do you want it all? 
Do you think you already have it all? 
How do you measure your life? 
Do you judge people who don't live the way you do?
And, what did you think about Slaughter's article?

11 comments:

  1. Well said, Amber. I feel similarly about Slaughter's article (which, ironically, I read while on the elliptical at the gym--although, that was the one time in a money I'd been because of other life crud, but anyway). I can state the obvious and say that men in her situation can't have it all either, because they are devoted to their careers and miss out on the same closeness, sometimes. Not all the time. I'm still frustrated and concerned that we have a double standard, and believe a working mother and working father should have equal expectations placed on them, except perhaps in the context of pregnancy and breastfeeding for the mother. Pay equality is ridiculous, and needs to be remedied. But that's another story.

    Want to know something funny? I am envious of your situation. Yes. Why? Because I feel judged for doing things out of order, and I don't have your joy or freedom. I gave my parents a grandbaby, but he's a surprise, out-of-wedlock baby. I haven't married his father, but am still living with him because, well, these things are not as simple as they look to outsiders. But I'm judged for this. I am also not terribly happy in this place, but I can only do so much to change it. My point might be that anyone who doesn't fit into the mold is suspicious and treated as if she's contagious. At least that's been my paranoia. I also wanted to slap Slaughter because her situation is SO far gone from what most working mothers struggle with. I teach community college, too, and most of my students are low-income parents trying to work minimum-wage jobs and go to school somehow. They manage to scrape together for less-than-stellar daycare, not pay a living wage and benefits to an educated and trained nanny. I know Slaughter acknowledges this, but I still want to smack her.

    Generally, I think "having it all" is a misnomer, because I simply want to find joy, peace, and a little more stability than adjuncting. I'm working on all of those things. In the meantime, I also need to stop comparing and attempt to block out the judgment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by "one time in a money," I meant one time in a month. What kind of "slip" is that? :)

      Delete
    2. I did have to laugh at the money "slip" in light of the conversation.

      I am so fascinated that people still think there is an "order" to things. And I am so sorry you feel judged for that. My mom is a good Southern Baptist, but I think if I came home with a baby she would be just fine with that. Of course who knows what other church ladies would say. But that's the whole point right? Who cares! (So much easier said than done...)

      I do enjoy my freedom, but as I am about to set off to Beijing by myself, I won't lie...I wish I had someone to go with. The grass is greener isn't it?

      Slaughter is totally out of touch, but at least she knows it. She did say clearly who she was writing "for" and I can appreciate that if nothing else.

      Let me also say this...though I have no idea where it fits in. My friends with no money are so tired, and struggle to find that peace. But my friends with money seem to be so oblivious to living with any real purpose. Isn't it fascinating. It makes me wonder which comes first. Do you get money and become oblivious or do you have to live on a different level (maybe one not so concerned with meaningful work or changing the world) to make money. Chicken and egg? Or is there a legit connection here? In all my free time, I might go explore this...

      Delete
    3. Please do! Great question. I'm not sure. I do think money is part of it, but I'm not sure it's everything. I know people with no money who remain shallow when they find money (or at least a living wage), and people with no money who are happy and at peace. I know people with money who are both.

      The "order of things" isn't so much what I'm judged for. I think most people know that the most well-intentioned of us have babies out of wedlock. But the problem with me is I didn't do the "right thing" right away and get married. I'm still not married. It's hard, unsettling, and complicated. I'm living in a big question right now, and it's not fun. I'm not happy here. But the answer is not, "just move out because you're living in sin and then everything will be OK." Yeah, I don't buy that. If I were childless, then I could buy it, but I also probably wouldn't stay living with a boyfriend for three years. It's a place where I cannot be content, but I also have little power to change these circumstances...much less know what that change looks like.

      I wish you had someone to see Beijing with, too. Am I allowed to say that I would prefer to go alone?

      Delete
  2. You asked if I thought I have it all...NO WAY! Not even close to what some would call "having it all" (whatever that means). Am I fine with that, Absolutely. I am also 33 years old and living with my parents. Definitely not what I thought I'd be doing. For reasons I won't go into here, I don't have a job. I have worked for YEARS on one graduate degree. My married friends never make marriage and family look all that great. So, you're right...it's easy to ignore.

    But what I really realize is that I couldn't handle it "all". I would always feel torn, like I should be this place or that place instead of where I am. I should be doing this not that, etc. So, I have to make a choice because having it all is not on my radar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kasey, that's a great point to make, about never really feeling present in any given situation...about whether or not we can "handle it all." Good stuff to think about.

      Delete
  3. I wrote a deep, beautiful, and awesome comment. And then I had to go on lunch break and closed out my browser before posting. So yeah. I'll just leave it at this. I just want a job that pays the bills and has benefits like sick days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now I wanna see your eloquent post! Hahaha! I hear you on that job thing. We are in the same boat!

      Delete
    2. Or you could come to China next....

      Delete
    3. When I was a baby, my dad was giving me a blessing at church and felt inspired to say that I would be a happy person. I feel like this was a defining moment for me, even though I was only weeks old. While I have some down moments, I just feel happy. I wish I had more, had more shit more together, but ultimately, I'm content.

      It took me a long time to understand that when others compared themselves to what where the "should" be, that it genuinely made them depressed. So, while I still compare myself, but probably shouldn't, I'm content with my jumbled not figured out life.

      I wonder though, if perhaps I wasn't so content I might feel more motivated to get my life together. I've never been particularly competitive, nor one to chase after goals. Maybe for me, a little discontent would be good.

      Delete
    4. Holly, that is the greatest explanation for you! Because I do think of you as being very content in whatever situation you are in. I am always impressed by it, and it's what makes me like being around you so much.

      I do know a lot of people who are content to a point of stagnation. So maybe there's the rub...

      Delete