Search Here!

July 5, 2012

My Favorite Episodes Of The Andy Griffith Show

When I was in high school, every night my mom and I stayed up and watched reruns of The Andy Griffith Show. We would laugh and tear up and look at each other and laugh that we were crying. These moments were probably my first realizations that I was bound to be just like my mother. Even today I can barely get through a few heartfelt sentences without the tears flowing. I cry at reality shows, commercials, and of course, still, The Andy Griffith Show. I don't know how much Andy Griffith was like Andy Taylor in real life, but I can't imagine that he could play this part for all those years and not learn from it. In memory of the amazing Andy Griffith, here are some of my favorite episodes.


The New Housekeeper-The first episode ever is when Aunt Bee moves in to take care of Opie and Andy. Opie is not thrilled because the last housekeeper, Rose, could fish, play baseball and a lot more! Aunt Bee is a little older and can't do these things as well. Opie acts so hateful and Andy disappointed, says this gem, "And to think I was glad when you learned to talk!" Aunt Bee decides to leave, but when Opie realizes she is leaving he runs down to stop her, claiming that she needs him because she can't do ANYTHING!


I love this one because it's the first one, and it sets up so nicely the kind of father Andy is going to be in the show. He doesn't push too hard, but communicates his disappointment and it's enough. He goes on to do this throughout the rest of the series! 
I love when he would throw his head back and laugh.
Andy The Marriage Counselor-A couple in town is causing disturbances with all their fighting, so Andy decides to step in to help them be nicer to each other. As they make peace with each other they become combative toward everyone in town. Andy has to make the couple mad at each other again in order to restore peace to the town!


Andy is rarely the one learning the lesson, but this is one of those episodes that he doesn't know best. The idea that happiness and love are defined differently by everyone is a great lesson that I think we all struggle to accept.
No wonder Ron Howard ended up being so awesome!
Opie And The Bully-Opie is being bullied at school by Sheldon who is demanding his lunch money. Andy tries to decide how to handle the situation, whether to intervene or not. He decides to share his own bullying experience as a kid, and in doing so gives Opie the courage to stand up to Sheldon. The results are a black eye and a boost of confidence.


Another example is Andy's great parenting! He doesn't solve Opie's problems for him, but is vulnerable enough to let him know he's not alone, and without saying so, gives him permission to solve the bully situation in any way he needs to. It's called trust I think. 
So much wisdom in that smile.
Deputy Otis-Otis, the town drunk, has been using courthouse stationery to write his brother, and because of this his brother has come to believe that he works there as a deputy. Andy and Barney help Otis pose as a deputy to impress his older brother who is coming through town. In the end, Otis learns that his older brother is also the town drunk!


Sure, it's going a little far, but this just shows Andy's love for even the least of these. He is willing to do what he can to help Otis out. 
These three!
Mr. McBeevee-When Opie starts talking about his friend, Mr. McBeevee, Andy is worried that Opie has a make believe friend because his description of Mr. Mcbeevee is so hard to believe! Barney is skeptical at Andy's patient approach with Opie and says, "Do you believe in Mr. McBeevee." Andy replies, "No, no, no. I believe in Opie." Just when Andy starts to doubt Opie, he sees Mr. McBeevee and realizes that he is a telephone man, explaining Opie's strange description that he walks in the trees. 


I love the way Andy never jumps to conclusions but lets situations play out before acting. His patience and wisdom keep him out of a lot of bad situations. This is one of those. It also shows that he really does have faith in people, which is a quality that can lead to a lot of hurt, but also a lot of happiness. 
Can't beat Andy's brand of friendship.
The Clubmen-Andy is invited to The Esquire Club, an elite club, but brings Barney with him. Barney acts ridiculous trying to come across as polished and familiar with high society. The club offers Andy an invitation to join the club but not Barney. Andy declines out of loyalty to his friend. Barney never finds out of course, thinking that it is HE who has been invited, not Andy, and declines, also out of loyalty for his friend. 


The relationship between Barney and Andy drives me crazy if the truth be told. I always want Andy to put Barney in his place. But this episode is ONE OF MANY where Andy never really clues Barney into the fact that he has paved the way for whatever good thing Barney is experiencing. I suppose this is true friendship, though it could be argued that a little accountability could lead Barney to make better decisions. Still, Andy is perfectly supportive and sacrificial in every way when it comes to Barney. Giving him the benefit of the doubt and standing by his side again and again. 

11 comments:

  1. Totally teared up reading this post. hahaha What can I say? I'm a social cryer. womp-womp

    I love Aunt Bee. Her hair and aprons make me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me laugh with your comments on Aunt Bee! You WOULD like that about her!

      Delete
  2. If only Andy could do for Barney what he does for Opie. What you call supportive and sacrificial, I call codependent. I love everything about this show except Andy leaving the blinders on Barney,but I'm sure that makes for better TV. I absolutely love the part where Opie rescues Aunt Bea from a life of knowing nothing. I remember crying the first time I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Romelle, you know I agree with you about the codependent! It's what drives me crazy about it!

      Delete
  3. I love the episode where Andy is teaching Opie the meaning of charity. My favorite part goes like this:

    Andy: "Didn't you ever give anyone anything for the joy of giving it?"
    Opie: "Uh-huh. Just yesterday I gave my friend Billy something."
    Andy: "What'd you give 'im?"
    Opie: "A knuckle sandwich."
    Andy: "I meant charity."
    Opie: "I didn't charge 'im nothin"

    My family watched so much of The Andy Griffith Show growing up that we could all take parts and do a whole episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was about to mention Opie's Charity. So sweet and such a message to parents about not underestimating our children.
    Phillip and I had a marathon when Don Knotts passed away and we started one for Andy Griffith last night.
    I love that I found a mate who shares my love for the show, but the show will always take me back to my grandparents in Elba when they were happy, healthy and whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how much meaning this show has for everyone, no matter what generation!

      Delete
  5. Oh, and Phillip and I totally dressed up as Barney and Thelma Lou for Halloween when we were dating:)
    I also love that somewhere in my grandmother's dementia ravaged mind, she knows that she loved this show.
    Do you remember that book Deathwatch we had to read in 10th grade? Andy Griffith starred in a movie based on the book and was totally the bad guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you kidding me! I have got to see that now! Wow...bringing it back...Amy, how do you remember/know EVERYTHING!

      Delete