Search Here!

July 31, 2012

How Weekend Fat Gets Fed

It's been almost 3 months since the birth of Weekend Fat, and I must say, I am pretty excited at the way it has taken off. Of course it's had some low points, but for the most part readership has been consistent and has even spiked a few times! I have never claimed to be an expert on pop-culture, but it certainly is fun to hash out all of my opinions and explore the little threads of synchronicity that run through my favorite entertainment and real life. 


I thought I'd share with you just a few of my favorite sources for information and inspiration. It's only fair to give credit where credit is due. You might want to start reading some of these blogs, just don't stop reading mine!
Funny stuff!
Jezebel is a little risque, but it's super clever and fun. It's liberal but written by and for women, and has some really hilarious writing most of the time.


Of course, I use IMDB and Wikipedia to research dates and titles and double check connections. I would love to say that all of that is just planted in my brain, but my brain is full of song lyrics, converting time zones, and lines from 30 Rock. 


The Awl is another site that is full of creative stuff related to culture and more. From time to time they write "serious" articles about how people handle money or what mothers are doing to ruin kids these days. But they also sprinkle in a good portion of meaningless TV stuff. The Hairpin, Splitsider, and a few others are all related and all offer the same type of posts, but I highly recommend them all. 


My good friend Meredith works at Verge Pipe Media, and her blogs/resources have taught me a lot about blogging and how to promote my writing without driving everyone crazy. (I hope it's working!) The stuff you find here is more practical, but if you or someone you know is looking for a way to put your blog, business, organization on the map, contact them...they know their stuff. And the blog is rich with great facts about social media, generational differences, and branding.


Brainpickings is maybe one of the greatest websites in existence today. Maria Popova runs the site. In this world of blogging, there are curators and there are bloggers. The Brainpicker is more of a curator, but the things that she finds and shares are fabulous. Her curations are more on the intellectual side of things, but we can't all be TV junkies. 
From Suri's Burn Book.
And lastly, if you aren't reading the blog, Suri's Burn Book, you are seriously missing out! Shout out to my friend Julie for being super aware of all things fashionable and bringing this little gem to my attention! Also, check out Julie's blog. She's an incredibly talented and professional event planner at Invision Events. The blog doesn't have pop-culture in it, but for those of you who love to daydream about weddings, take a look, she's fabulous!

I'm sure you have your favorites too. 
What blogs do you follow? 
What should Weekend Fat be paying attention to?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks to you, I spent too much of today reading what "Suri" thinks and cracking up. Some advice: laugh at loud and her comments about Willow Smith, but whatever you do, no matter how curious you are, do not play the video. You can't unhear that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suri is the best! I have no clue what video you are referring to and I think I should probably keep it that way!

      Delete
  2. There are shout outs and then there are shout outs. Many thanks, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the best! And I appreciate your well rounded, yet selective tap into pop-culture!

      Delete
  3. LOVE Brainpickings. She is a must-read via Twitter nearly everyday. Thanks for the shout-out Amber! Your blog is always fun, often incredibly insightful and generally refreshing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think Meg introduced me to Brainpicker. I am so fascinated by her! Thanks for the compliment friend!

      Delete